Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p><span style="font-size:10pt;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">I have a quart freezer bag packed with sliced apricots from last summer. I would like to make a crisp/crumble that is gluten free and uses honey or perhaps another non processed sweetener.</span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:10pt;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">The recipe I used in the past is from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook – just a standard fruit crisp recipe that uses butter, flour, oats and brown sugar for the topping. I have a GF baking flour mix, white rice flour, I might have GF oats, I have hazelnuts to add too… not sure what sweetner? I would need to add some to the fruit and to the topping.</span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:10pt;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">We have honey and maple syrup but those are really liquidy.</span></span></p>
<p> </p>
<p><span style="font-size:10pt;"><span style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;">Also if I wanted to sweeten whipped cream –what would you recommend?</span></span></p>

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
<p>If you are looking to work with the recipe you have I would get some coconut/palm sugar if you tolerate that ok. <br>
To sweeten the whipped cream honey or maple syrup would be fine though I would lean toward honey to go with apricots.</p>

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
<p>Coconut palm sugar will give it a caramel flavor, if that's what you're looking for. I like it in some recipes but not in others.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's an apple crisp recipe. When I make her recipes I use honey instead of agave and macadamia oil instead of grapeseed oil. There are also a couple crumble recipes there as well. (Plus TONS of other yummy recipes.) </p>
<p><a href="http://www.elanaspantry.com/apple-crisp/" target="_blank">http://www.elanaspantry.com/apple-crisp/</a></p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts