Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attending a baby shower for the wife of one of my husband's coworkers. We don't know each other well, have met a few times. I know she is planning on breastfeeding so I want to give her lots of good items for that and I noticed she registered for bottles but no pump. Here's what I have so far, can you guys give me a few more suggestions?

~Boppy (she registered for this)
~Lanolin
~LLL's Womanly Art
~Sears Breastfeeding Book

I remember when I first started nursing I needed a lot of nursing gowns/pajamas for nighttime and sleep bras/nursing bras. Would a gift certificate for those items be inappropriate? I bought some stuff at Motherhood for myself but found that they deteriorated quickly. Anyone have good suggestions for where to buy nursing bras that will stand the test of time?

I didn't use pads myself, but was thinking maybe some nice WAHMmade cloth pads? The Avent Isis Pump?

Any other ideas? I'm just not sure what would be appropriate without being pushy. Thanks mamas! Oh, and I also included a printed card with the information for our local LLL meetings/contact numbers too. Hoping she'll come!

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
how about a big water bottle? some mother's milk teas? those gel paks that can be heated or frozen in case she gets engorged or is just sore from nursing.
you might ask her about the pump. she may have already been given a good one and that's why she didn't register for one.
personally, i think the la leche book can be overwhelming for a first-timer. it's a good resource and all, but i like to give something smaller and more user-friendly, like dr. sears' book if you can still get it, or the nursing mother's companion or so that's what they're for!
you might also consider writing down some websites on the back of that card for places to get nursing bras and clothes that aren't cheap and ugly (like motherhood, blech!).

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I personally wouldn't get a pump for someone else....it's a fairly personal, research-oriented item, if that makes sense....

By which I mean that she may have already done considerable research on pumps and decided on the one she thinks is best. She may not have registered because she wanted to buy a more expensive model, or one that wasn't available in most stores, KWIM? Or she may be renting one...

I just wouldn't assume that the bottles are going to be filled with formula unless someone gifts her with a pump!
Maybe if you have a chance to ask her if she's thought about a pump, and then share your views on what one(s) are good?

I think the items you mentioned are great....maybe a GC to someplace like Motherwear, where she can pick out her own bra, pjs or a nice shirt?

WAHM pads would be great! And maybe some mother's milk tea.

A sling would be an awesome gift! I'm partial to the Kissasling, which isn't very expensive at all. Cute burp cloths....maybe with pro-bf slogans on them...GC's for take out or delivery would be nice.

I see that I've echoed a lot of what's already said...sorry for being redundant!

Sarah

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I know you are not giving the shower but is there any way you could get permission, so to speak, to start a sign-up to help- mom- feed -baby- by- feeding- mom- list? personally, I would have been so grateful if someone would have come to get me some meals when i had my kids. I was always starving and never had enough time or energy to make a decent meal.
I did this once for a freind on her shower and it worked out okay. sometimes though women give the stupid excuse that they cant cook, and so I say" if you make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches it would be a help!"
if you are willing to manage the timing and the questions people ask than you would be giving a great gift! you could make up the list with a calender so people can pick dates and you can call to remind them.
Laura

·
Premium Member
17,015 Posts
They were a little pricey ($32), but the nursing bras I got at Mimi Maternity are the best ones I've tried. I also like the Burt's Bees baby stuff (diaper cream, etc). They make a sampler pack of their baby products so she can try them all.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If she's planning on returning to work after baby, "Nursing Mother, Working Mother" is a super present. I think it's even useful for moms who don't WOH and it's an easy read.

I think cloth pads might be a bit too personal. Especially at a baby shower where everyone watches you open gifts.

Do you know baby's gender? You could order an advocacy shirt. www.babyknowsbreast.com

I second the idea for waterbottles. Gift certificates for restaurants that deliver are incredibly helpful for a new mom, too. How about a clean house?

·
Registered
344 Posts
My vote is for the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding book. I had Micah 2 weeks ago now, and my midwife gave me a copy, and it has been an invaluable resource for me, and has saved me a lot of calls with questions. Definitely a GREAT gift to have...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Walmart sells glass bottles that say 'mommys milk' on them. The are 4 ounce bottles specifically for breast milk. They are the very best for storing breast milk compared to bags. I LOVED mine!!!

hth's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.