Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually do WBV, but at every one I've gone to, the ped has been concerned about DD's weight. She was 6lbs 10oz at birth. She is now 18 months and about 21.4lbs.

She was 19lbs. at 9 AND 12 months (don't remember which). I skipped her 15 month appt. because I didn't want to hear the song and dance about her weight. Basically at the 12 month appt, the ped told me that since she had grown (height) but not gained, that from a ped standpoint she had LOST weight.

I think this is crap. Today is her 18 month appt and I'm only going because I don't want her to call CPS or something.

If she gives me a hard time, I need some comebacks.

For the record, DH is 6'4" and 160 lbs. MIL is 5'4" and 98lbs. I happen to be overweight, but COME ON!

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Ugh, I feel you.
I have a lightweight, too. Are you bfing? Have you seen the bfing weight chart? I think it's on kellymom and it's a WHO chart. The average weights are much lower than the formula-fed charts your doc has...

If she is sleeping, eating, and hitting all of her milestones, she is just right! Someone has to be smallest, just like someone has to be largest.

· Premium Member
3,005 Posts
I don't have any witty comebacks but I can share my dd1's size with you.

birth ~ 6lbs 4 ounces
1 year ~ 17 lbs
2 years ~ 21 lbs
3 years ~ 23 pounds

She is now sixteen and usually weighs around 115 and is 5'2". She is 1/4 Korean and her grandmother is about 4'6" and 80 lbs.

My boys were huge but my dd2 is small too. She is 18 lbs at almost a year.

If she is hitting all her milestones, progressing, developing and growing I just don't see the problem.

You may just want to take a "I will fatten her up and watch carefully" approach if there is a concern on the docs part.

Good luck!!!

Wendi

· Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thixle View Post
Ugh, I feel you.
I have a lightweight, too. Are you bfing? Have you seen the bfing weight chart? I think it's on kellymom and it's a WHO chart. The average weights are much lower than the formula-fed charts your doc has...

If she is sleeping, eating, and hitting all of her milestones, she is just right! Someone has to be smallest, just like someone has to be largest.
Yes, she nurses like a fiend. LOL

She's an awful sleeper, but she eats fine and is BEYOND hitting milestones. Super smart kid!

When I tell the ped she is a great eater, the ped says that concerns her because if she was eating what I say she is, she'd be gaining weight. The fact that she's not gaining faster makes her think DD isn't absorbing calories or something.

FTR, I have SEEN my MIL in one sitting eat a Big Mac, a large fry, large shake, 2 apple pies and then have cupcakes. This isn't her usual diet, but she does eat a lot ( my point) and she doesn't gain at all. Nothing makes her gain. DH is the same way.

ETA: my ped is a breastfeeding mom too! you'd think she would know better.

· Registered
2,963 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Livviesmom0207 View Post
When I tell the ped she is a great eater, the ped says that concerns her because if she was eating what I say she is, she'd be gaining weight. The fact that she's not gaining faster makes her think DD isn't absorbing calories or something.
Thought of something--
Let me guess, you have a muscular kiddo? My dd's arm and back muscles are like a sculpture-- massive for her size. All that food is going to muscle and height... they don't always have to bulk up on chubbiness to grow.

I made sure to point out that DD had been crawling since she was 4 months and walking since 8 months... so she was hitting that weight drop earlier because she was SO VERY active earlier than most: Around 2 years, the weight level goes down because they are running/climbing/jumping and never sitting still. That was my kid almost from birth! She didn't accumulate those calories, she wiggled them off.

· Registered
1,483 Posts
Quote:
I think this is crap. Today is her 18 month appt and I'm only going because I don't want her to call CPS or something.
I can sympathize with this. DS's ped wants him to go in for a "weight check" this month even though he's not due for another check-up for at least 4 months. I don't want to take him at all, I know she's going to give me the run around about his weight and vaccines and...blah, blah, blah. But I am actually worried that she will report me if I don't bring him in since he's so little and we delay/selectively vaccinate. I wish I never took him to the doctor in the first place!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.