Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you mamas have given such good advice every other time... I'm back! My ds is 4 months old and has not had a bowel movement today. Since he's been born he goes 2-3 times a day and on some (rare) days he'll go once. He has been super fussy today and I think he may be constipated

He is excl. breastfed... is this possible? Does anyone have any reccomendations on natural remedies I can give him to make him feel better/go? The only thing I've tried so far is Little Tummy's (gas relief) and Tylenol at about 3pm (when I finally gave in because I thought his teething tablets were not doing their job)

Please help

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I am so sorry... I don't think he's constipated because its only been one day right? Howver, he could be gassy which, at least with DS, looked really similar to constipation... I gave him Gripe Water, its a natural tonic for babies... they sell it at Whole Foods and (some) drugstores...

Warm baths, baby massage... all of those things helped DS quite a bit....

Hope your DC feels better soon!!!!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
You could try some massage. Put some sesame or olive oil on your hands, start on the left side of their belly button, stroke down and then sweep to the right.
I wouldn't worry though, it sounds like his digestive system is maturing, so its acting differently. My ds started missing a day here and there at 3 or 4 months.

Dawn

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I was going to recommend message. My dd has been a once a day goer since she was probably 4 months and if she seemed to be getting uncomfortable, I'd give her a belly message. Did wonders getting the gas out! Also, laying baby down on your legs with their head hanging over your knees (but make sure babies neck is not on your knee) and softly bounce your legs will get the gas out (at least in my dd.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
When I was still under Mid Wife care 6 wks post-partum, she mentionned that the longest an EBFed baby went without pooping was 21 days...and that was OKAY!!! I'd be freaking out after THAT long, but it's okay!! 'Personally I'd go easy on the tylenol and maybe look into some Camilia for teething (made by Bioron it has pink and blue stripes on the box)....you can also find that or Highlands teething tablets at your local health food store.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eirual
Personally I'd go easy on the tylenol and maybe look into some Camilia for teething (made by Bioron it has pink and blue stripes on the box)....you can also find that or Highlands teething tablets at your local health food store.
I know, I know.... I really didn't want to give tylenol because we normally use "Humphrey's Teething Pellets" but his cry told me "something hurts" and I really wanted him to feel better

By the way... dh just walked in and said he changed a poopy diaper... hurray!!

Thank you everyone very much for your suggestions... and if anyone has any more I'll be more than happy to hear them!!

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Mama, take a deep breath. This is NORMAL! It is COMPLETELY normal for EBF babies to go several days without a bowel movement--that is NOT constipation. Constipation is the firmness of the stool, NOT the amount of time between them. If your baby is not straining and his poops are soft, then he is just fine

My dd has been a once a week girl since about 6 weeks of age. Some babies go even longer.

If, however, he does seem to be straining and his stools are firm, then up your water intake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts