Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom's hand-me-down wore out, so I am about to purchase my first sewing machine and I'm feeling pretty lame about it. I want to have a serger too, but I am raising 4 kids in >1300sq.ft. and don't have room for everything. Is there such a thing as a sewing machine that does sergering, or do I have to buy 2 seperate machines?
I have shopped online for about an hour now, and it appears that I'll have to buy them seperately, but I am hoping someone knows something I don't.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There is a such thing as a combi machine. I think newhome made it, but it's not a new machine. You didn't mention a budget. But right now Sears is clearancing janome's and you can get a harmony 8080 for less than $150. and you can get a ergo3 for less than $500 (this is normally $2000 and does embroidery). Janome is a great brand that makes machines for many others namely viking and elna. You'd be able to get alot of features for far less money than you might have to spend with other brands.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will check out Sears. I can afford up to $1500 but I was hoping for a $600 limit so that I can get a serger if I need to, and a few other things I want. I think I can live without a serger, though. I would be thrilled to get a good machine for less than $300.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.