Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm brand spanking new to this board and I'm not very comfortable with the layout just yet, so I hope that I'm doing this right. (I came from another community which only provides vaccination "debate" boards, so I'm so happy to find all of you) I have a 9-1/2 month old son and am 8 months pregnant. We took my son to 2 well baby visits after his birth and 2 different pediatricians. They both seemed too confrontational about our choice to not vaccinate. So, he hasn't had a well baby visit since and hasn't been sick at all. With a new little boy on the way, I would like to find a pediatrician or family practitioner in the East Orlando area who is non-confrontational about our choice. I would like to take the new baby for a few well baby visits to help monitor his growth and make sure his sight, hearing, etc. is all fine. Does anyone have any suggestions of who to call in this area? Any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA!

Jennifer
Baby Andrew 10.03.05
Baby Langston EDD 09.30.06

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My son sees Dr. Franz at The Franz Center 407-857-8860 (It's off Orange Ave near downtown Orlando).

My 37 mo son has only had 4 vax and no one pressures us to vax. A friend of mine brought in her 6yo dd who had never had vax and they didn't act like it was out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Dr. Cannizzarro is very AP friendly. He's also a really great man on a person-to-person level. He's in Longwood ~ that may not be where you're looking.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Are both those Drs very supportive of BFing...including extended BFing? Perhaps I will try Dr. C as he is closer than Dr. Franz to where I am living. I just moved to FL.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dr. C is very supportive of breastfeeding. When I met with Dr. Franz's office, her office manager (whom you meet with for prenatal interviews) flat out said that it wasn't a big deal if you breastfeed. I saw several patients with formula, but that could be for many reasons. I was personally told by Franz that if my daughter didn't gain weight she'd have to be supplemented. My daughter was 8lbs. 5 oz. at birth, 9/9 apgar, and was at 7lbs. 12oz. at 5 days old when she told me this. I didn't supplement and I continued to go to her office and sit for 2 hours or MORE in the waiting room. At my daughter's 4 month appt. I was told to start giving solids. That is when I left. If you can't even follow the minimum AAP guidelines, I don't want to deal. I switched to Dr. C and he is very pro bf, listens to your concerns, and is ALWAYS AVAILABLE. Dr. Franz cannot be reached after hours. She has an answering service that you have to pay $25 to use! I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes at Dr. C's office. He is very well-educated on nutrition and is just a common sense, trust your gut doc.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Dr. C is very much pro-bf ~ essentially, he's pro-the-parent-knows-best!!! I have had to wait longer than I would have liked a few times for him, but once he's in the room, you have his undivided attention for as long as you need it. He's not at all rushed and will sit and talk about all subjects regarding your child's health ~ as well as your own with regard to how it affects your child. He's very holistic ~ he's a big picture kind of guy.

I had a *minor* issue with one of the office staff, spoke with him about it and it was quickly resolved.

When dd was born, she, unfortunately, had to spend some time in NICU. The neo-natal doc in the hospital was *horrible* and was also pushing supplementing with formula. It was quite a battle between the two of us (I could go on and on about that) and I called Dr. C for some back-up. He was at the hospital speaking with the neo-natal doc, and he essentially became my liason and the neo-natal doc didn't threaten me with supplementing again.

He's just a great guy!! Very well-respected in the natural health community also.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
If you're willing to travel, I LOVE Kinder Clinic in Winter Haven. They are grea and very accomodating to your own personal choices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts