Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine may be able to work with Spiral Q. I want to get everyone's impressions about them (if you know about them) other than what is on the website. I think this is exactly the job that she should be in and is an incredible boost to her life goal, but she's very hesitant.

TIA mamas!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know a bit about them -- great organization.
I had a friend who did volunteer work with them but she moved away about a year ago. She volunteered, but she absolutely loved working with the group and was very impressed by their organization (for a non profit operating on litte cash) of the founders. About a year ago, they had an opening and she recommended I apply -- and she couldnt say enough great things about them and what a cool org they were. I had other plans and the pay wasnt great, so I never applied, but the contact I have had with them has been great. I have gone to a few of their events, and I think they are just a really neat organization. The founders are well respected in the community too. I dont know anything firsthand about the "office politics" but having worked at some of the larger non profit arts orgs in town, you cant escape wierd politics anywhere -- Spiral Q is a pretty grassroots kind of organization so if she isnt into grassroots types of stuff it may not be a good "match" but I dont think it would be a bad place to work.

What's the hesitation?

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phillychiquita View Post
What's the hesitation?
Thanks phillychiquita. The hesitation is taking a leap with SpiralQ or taking a safe job. SHe's totally the person who'd thrive with the leap, just need to get her to see that it's not a long leap IYKWIM.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I love SpiralQ, their work in the community and the people I've met who have worked there. It's been a few years since I was really involved, but at the time it was a fun & exciting place to hang out.

mommaduck - http://spiralq.org/ SpiralQ does community organizing, art with kids in the city, and has a workshop for making amazing huge puppets for political street theater, protests, etc. and giving others the materials and expertise to do so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts