Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is x-posted in SN Parenting.<br><br>
***<br><br>
My son is 6 and the local neuropsychologist calls him a conundrum - he's been dx'd with anxiety, Asperger's syndrome, and adhd (severe even though that's not a diagnostic class). He is a scrawny lil guy and until recently was about 15% underweight. Off an on for the last three years we've had problems with him waking up in the middle of the night and sneaking food. He has sleep issues aside from the food hoarding/sneaking problem.<br><br>
We've tried leaving out snacks for him since I know that sometimes you just wake up hungry in the middle of the night. The thing is he just hoards food. If I lie out a cereal bar for him he'll eat that then climb up into the cabinet and eat the rest of the box. If he decides he wants some yogurt he'll eat 3 or 4 containers instead of just one. He's been known to take a loaf of bread into his room and eat that throughout the night.<br><br>
This week he ate about 1/3 of a 1/2 gallon of frozen yogurt and another night ate 3/4 of a bag of semi-sweet chocolate morsels. I found out about the frozen yogurt because he left it on the counter with a spoon in it and the remainder was melted. I just found out about the chocolate morsels because I went to make chocolate chip cookies.<br><br>
We can't lock up the fridge/cabinets because he can figure out the locks now. I paid $2.50 for the 1/2 gallon of frozen yogurt and 1/2 went to waste so I asked him for $1.25 which he gave me (please don't berate me for this, I'm just thinking logical/natural consequences). He's pretty apathetic to any type of discipline or reward system which proves difficult in combating this.<br><br>
I have no clue how to address this. It's really frustrating for me because overnight I can lose an entire food item from my house which leaves me in a lurch if I needed that for something. Tonight after I found out about the chocolate chips my daughter said "that makes me sad" and started crying because cookies are a rare treat for her (food allergy). So it's affecting her negatively.<br><br>
Any ideas? Am I making too much out of this? I honestly don't mind if he's hungry and gets up and has a cereal bar, a thing of yogurt, and a slice of cheese. It's when he gets up and eats a box of cereal bars, every bit of yogurt, or all of the cheese that really frustrates me to no end.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
FWIW, my 6 yo still just eats one food at a time, so he wouldn't be likely to eat just one cereal bar and then move on to a different food. He would just eat enough of the one food to stop being hungry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts