Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night my right breast started hurting really bad. I figured it was from a nursing tank I was wearing that was too tight and the fact I was taking the breast out of the top an nursing as opposed to opening the nursing latch, my breasts never fit through those holes. So anyway, it was sore, and it progressed to the point that I was in horrible pain and took a painkiller. And I never take medications, so it was bad for me to do that. The next day I didn't feel so good, but I chalked it up to the fact baby boy had been up all night teething and I was getting over a cold. I felt really crappy, achey, irritable, headache, not really hungry...I thought I felt chills but thought I was imagining it and blew it off. The pain has let up a little bit. I took my temp and a fever wasn't registering, but I have a knack for not taking temps correctly....<br><br>
Today, for the first time, I looked at the breast in the mirror and saw a red area. Not really raise or hard, but red, still sore. The red flag finally went off in my head and I googled mastitis and read about it a little and it does sound like it....but I don't have a lot of people I can ask around me so I would really appreciate any help. The red area is kind of circular, about half-dollar sized, halfway between armpit and nipple, but more closer to armpit, I have very large breasts 42DDD.<br><br>
The thing that really drives me crazy is that I never had had mastitis and I've been pretty much nursing nonstop for 3 years. Baby boy has dropped how many times a day he nurses a little bit so I'm wondering if that is contributing to this, plus that tight tank I flopped my breast over the other day....yikes...he is turning 1 in a week. I planned to nurse him for however long he wanted or at least another year or so...<br><br>
Also I wear a beco with babe on my back so don't know if this was a contributing factor....<br><br>
So I'm wondering if I should get antibiotics? Or try to fight it off myself? If I take antibiotics am I more likely to get mastitis again? Or even if I don't take them? Are there a lot of pros and cons to doing either? Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I only have a minute but unless you have a fever I would say don't do the antibiotics yet. Start drinking alot, resting, and nursing as much as possible. Rub the area out, use hot compress on it and take ibuprofen. Will be back with more later - post an update if you have one!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Here is what I have found helpful for treatment of mastitis(mostly per KellyMom:<br>
Lots of rest! ( I know it's hard as a mama but it's important.)<br>
Lots of fluids.<br>
Extra vitamin C.<br>
Ibueprofen to help with the pain, swelling and fever as needed.<br>
I also chose to take raw garlic. You can cut a clove up into swallowable pieces and take it like a pill. You won't smell good but it's a natural antibiotic. I chose to do this as opposed to prescription abx because I wanted to avoid thrush. I believe I took 4 four cloves a day.<br>
Lots of nursing!<br><br>
If you don't feel better within about 36 hours you may want to check in with your doctor. Hope you are feeling better soon!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I am slightly better right now..still a little blah and headachey, a little less pain in the breast. Hubby was pushing for me to get the antibiotics since baby's birthday is next week, but at this point I think I might be ok. I will re-evaluate how I am doing tommorrow, but yikes, I never knew mastitis was so painful...I was going to try the garlic thing, but still haven't gotten to it...I actually did that when I had H1N1 and hubby was quite grossed out by how me and my bodily functions smelled for a few days, LOL. The only thing I find hard is resting...so much to do...but I am trying...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts