Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 17 months. To get all the disclaimers off the bat:<br><br>
I know she doesn't need to be on a schedule. I know she doesn't "need" more solids. I am not really interesting in hearing why I am a selfish mama and how your child nursed on demand round the clock until age x.<br><br>
I work outside the home 4 days a week and most days come home for lunch. DD wants to nurse first thing when I come in, which made sense when she was little but now means she is not at all interested in lunch.<br><br>
DH tries to eat something really quickly and I nurse DD, then grab a bite and head out the door to get back to work. Dh is then feeding her snacks all afternoon. Then she nurses when I get home and isn't all that interested in dinner, either, which we have to eat early so DH can get to work.<br><br>
I don't enjoy lunchtimes and I don't think we are modeling good eating behaviors for her at all. Part of the whole reason we arranged our life this way instead of putting her in child care was so that we would have more time as a family.<br><br>
She's nursing at least 3-4 times a day plus at night, so it's not like I'm worried about that.<br><br>
I would be fine if she would eat a bit and THEN want to nurse, for example, but she has no interest at all and it's a battle I don't want to fight over food.<br><br>
Does anyone have any suggestions to change this pattern? I want to continue nursing but it's becoming a huge issue in our lives and is making me miserable.<br><br>
ETA: I should also add part of the reason we are trying to increase her solids is she is on the skinny side and while no one is particularly concerned, I think her mood and sleeping improve when she eats healthy yummy high calorie foods. I know mine does when I do!<br><br>
I should also add that she's not like the exclusively breastfed toddler on another thread. She LOVES to eat most of the time. She's just not interested after nursing, which makes sense. So rearranging the order would be fine. I just want her to have the CHANCE to self-regulate eating solids.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Could your DH eat lunch with her before you come home on your lunchbreak to nurse her and grab a bite to eat? Or could you eat while nursing her if she's already had her lunch?<br><br>
Another idea would be to stop coming home at lunchtime.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, now that I see it laid out here in black and white, I guess that's what we'll need to do. Nothing to say we can't resume "family lunches" once she's a bit older.<br><br>
Ugh. Sadness.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Could your husband make a meal for everyone and sit down and eat with her right before you come home? Then you could nurse her at the table, talk to your husband and kind of continue with the family meal time. My husband eats really slowly, so for us we would still be eating together after DS was finished. I know thats really important to us, and I really hear what you're saying about modeling good food behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts