Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been SO irritable lately. im having a really hard time dealing with my dd, who has some special needs. normally it's not a big deal. she has a hard time transitioning from one activity to the next (despite numerous advance warnings), is very picky about her food... clothing... EVERYHING!! i have really screamed at her a couple times over the last week
. these hormones are out of control! anyone have any good ideas for on the spot relaxation techniques i could use BEFORE the steam starts coming out of my ears? anyone out there who already have at least one other child going through something similar? i have read the parenting books, etc.. with this pg the info has just gone out the window. i am feeling like a bad mama for not having more patience with dd. well, i dont have patience with anyone right now, but other people are at least old enough to understand why. blah!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I don't have any fabulous ideas since I feel about ready to blow a gasket half the time, but you certainly have my empathy. I feel constantly on the verge of having a freak out- my 2 year old's antics, long lines, rude drivers, in-laws- argh.... I feel guilty about it as well and even conciously try to remind myself that it could be worse or to count my blessings, or to count to ten- not helping. I have a great deal of anxiety this pregnancy too and sometimes get that horrible squeezing in the chest feeling from worry and frustration....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, well at least now i dont feel like the only crazy person. i think i just need to remember to take a breath. i think the worst part is dd usually does this in the early am (who likes getting up at 5:30? i cant say i blame her). anyway, it is hard for me to deal with things that early. i cant be late for work because i open the preschool, so im super stressed about that at the same time. sometimes she litteraly refuses to leave the apartment. its very hard for me to carry her, and last week i fell with her going up the stairs. i banged up my knee and poor dd got a huge scrape on her back that i didnt even notice until we got home that evening
. i felt awful about that, i thought her big puffy coat had her pretty padded.

ok, i think venting is helping me already.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It does help to feel not so alone! I've felt better about life ever since I posted my bladder troubles here and other mamas had the same problems.

I feel for you, I also have a very challenging kid, my 5 year old. He freaks out about every almost detail of the day. I homeschool him so my patience is very tested. I have found a few things that help, I try to change my breathing, breathe 3 times fast & then one deep breath, over and over until I feel less like losing my mind.
Sometimes I just have to step away & shut myself in the bathroom for a minute, or keep music on that keeps my energy up so I stay positive. If I keep my voice cheerful & try to redirect or ask for his help, sometimes I get progress, sometimes I don't!
Its hard, esp. while pregnant, good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow--thank god I'm not the only one out there ready to blow a gasket. I'm pregnant with my first, stepmom to two, helping my guy through rough stuff with his ex, and probably soon to be unemployed (thank you economy). Needless to say, my fuse is *short*, but the laundry list of reasons doesn't eliminate the simple wish that I could just calm down.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well here's a little update. the last few mornings have been a bit better. on my short days i am in a much better mood and i have much more energy, so ive requested they not ask me to stay late unless its absolutely necessary. this only leaves me with one long day, which i can deal with. im going to order my hypno home course soon, and dh has told me he would keep dd busy while i work on that, so ill have some nice relaxing *alone* time. im still really irritable a lot of the time though, lol. that will not change for a while! i was awful during my last pg too. its like i go from being fine to being in a rage in nothing flat - there isn't even any time for me to try and calm down. rawr! lol.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Here's my update. My hormones have decided not to tolerate rudeness or poor customer service anymore, so I can no longer show my face at any number of places around town where I went off like a firecracker- all totally justified IMHO only at the most egregious offenses do I bother to freak out and escalate it up the chain, but still considering the state of manners these days its probably more frequent than need be. Ugh, someone needs to lock me up and throw away the key (so I can nap and actually relax for five minutes). I told my toddler to "move his big dumb shoes" today- shame on grumpy horrible mommy.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Although I managed not to say anything rude, I got really annoyed at the manager at a local restaurant because he dared to stop by my table and ask how our food was. The nerve of the man! At that point, I realized that, yeah, my hormones are going nuts and my perception of things aren't to be trusted.

I've been really annoyed with DS and really annoyed with DH. I'm just a real joy to be around!

I'm actually doing a bit better at the moment. I realized that acting relaxed and happy really changed my son's behavior and then I wasn't so irritated at him. DH has been working a lot so I'm sure that has kept me from blowing up at him as much.

I don't have any magic pills. I would say to make sure you are getting enough rest, drinking enough water, and try to arrange some time each day to have some time with DD that is guareenteed to be fun (like a park or something?). Getting a little time outdoors is good to if it isn't too cold where you are. Deep breaths help in the moment.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Chamomile tea . . . all day long, on the really grumpy days. And Rescue Remedy, a flower essense therapy safe for pregnancy and postpartum.

I've been extra quick to snap too. My poor boys! It must be awful having such a grumpy mom . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.