Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been trying to work up the courage to make a brocade mei tai. Can anyone help me?

Ok so far I've heard that corduroy or pinwale is good for strap material--what should I use? Would any type of bottomweight fabric work?

I was told that Guterman thread is good, but should I use 100% polyester or something else?

Do I have to change the presser foot or anything?

Is there anything else I should be careful about when sewing brocade?

Ok and one last dumb question for the evening, can I iron it?

Thanks so much, I'm such a dork at sewing any advice is appreciated!
:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I haven't made a brocade mei tai yet, but have the fabric and hope to get to it this week. It's a gorgeous, rich green with chrysanthemums. I've made a mei tai with stretch cotton with a "linen-like" decorative side. I used a 3% spandex stretch cotton poplin (bottomweight) for the straps and one side of the body. I also made the staps about 5.5 inches wide, which makes it very comfy to wear, along with the stretch. I'm in the process of adding a little padding to the leg area--seems to cut into dd's legs a bit otherwise.

Not sure about the thread, presser foot setting question. I just used Dual Duty, reinforced all weight-bearing areas, and it's very strong and secure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.