Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SIL just informed me that there have been alot of kids in ds' school having oral sex.
My ds is in 6th grade, he's 12yrs old, and it sickens me to know this is already going on.

I need ideas on how to broach the subject tactfully with him... there are so many diseases that can be caught, not to mention it's just wrong.

TIA~ Jodi

· Registered
4,743 Posts
I think I'd just tell him that his aunt brought the subject up and ask him what he knows about it--once you get the conversation started you'll get a feel for how much he knows and how accurate the info is. Then you can fill in any gaps in his knowledge.

· Registered
28 Posts
Around here oral sex is rampant in middle and high schools. Some people blame it on Clinton because kids think oral sex isn't having sex and they believe it is a safer form of sex (which it isn't). My advice is to keep the dialogue going about making good choices. I've talked with my girls since they were young (they are 14 and 16 now), about their bodies and their sexuality. I've always stressed that sexual activity is wonderful in a serious committed relationship, and it should not be done because of peer pressure or "just to experiment." At the very least, kids need to understand that condoms need to be used even for oral sex! Good luck! Jan

· Registered
5,070 Posts
I brought it up by telling ds when I saw a spot on tv about it. I told him it was similar to the way we feel about smoking or drugs, that it was something that could have bad consequences and I let him know that we expect him to make healthy choices. I always make sure to tell him what we expect from him on an issue, it is something my parents didn't do and I was kinda lost. We also talk a lot about choices. At the same time we also make sure he knows that we aren't going to send him to military school if he makes a mistake. We like to stress that we are a family "team" and he is part of it and we are in this together. He's pretty shy lately about girl stuff so it is getting harder to get him to talk about it but I still feel I need to check in and update him on what we expect and what new situations might arise, even if I'm the one doing all the talking, at least I gave him the information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.