Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello anyone would like to share some tips on how to taught your child to ride a bike without training wheels? I know every child learns at her own pace its just a little frustrating cause i myself got a bike so the 2 of us or 3 of us can ride in the street together. The thing is as soon as i took off the training wheels my child could not keep balance. So any tips anyone would recommend would be appreciated.:smile:

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Mine learnt by using the bike as a balance bike first. Put the seat low enough that they can reach the ground with the balls of their feet, position the pedals so they’re out of they way and get them to propel the bike with their feet. Once they’re comfortable they’ll probably put their feet on the pedals without even thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best trick for this is by putting the training wheels a little higher over time.

When you first mount the training wheels you mount them so they both touch the ground. As your child has learned to control the bike in that state, you put them a bit higher so it cannot fall over but only one training wheel touches the ground at one time while the other one is an inch or so above the ground. Next step they're even more high and before you know it they're riding their bike with both training wheels off the ground. At that moment they don't need them anymore.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello anyone would like to share some tips on how to taught your child to ride a bike without training wheels? I know every child learns at her own pace its just a little frustrating cause i myself got a bike so the 2 of us or 3 of us can ride in the street together. The thing is as soon as i took off the training wheels my child could not keep balance. So any tips anyone would recommend would be appreciated.😄
When my kids were learning how to ride bikes without training wheels, my partner had an idea that ended up working for how to teach them!
He took them to our driveway which is not steep, but has a gradual incline. They sit on their bike and roll down the little hill with feet off the pedals and just balance as they glide down the hill. Repeat over and over until they get bored and ride away! It worked like a charm!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.