Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What due I use on my children's hair to keep them from getting green hair due to the chlorine in our pool? My youngest has almost white hair and I have been wetting her hair with a water/coconut oil (mixed in a spray bottle) prior to her getting in the pool and then washing her hair each night. But is that enough?

They get in the pool daily. I have read things about using a tomato base and letting it sit on the hair for over 20 minutes. Will that work?

What natural things can I try?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Chlorine doesn't turn hair green, copper-based algicide, does.

Maybe you can find a non-copper algicide? I've never looked at pool chemicals, just dealt with GREEN hair. (Tomato juice pulled it out.)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
All 3 of my kids are year-round competitive swimmers. They spend many hours per week in a pool. My oldest has white-blond hair. You can buy the special swimmers shampoos - they help. You can add baking soda to your regular shampoo just before washing and really scrub with it - that works. What we have been doing for the past year or so is shampooing with Tresemme Clarifying shampoo (black bottle) every night. It really does the trick and is the cheapest, easiest solution I've found in the many years we've been involved in the sport.

My kids do not find the green-hair look appealing. Plus, the hair gets that nasty straw-like texture if you don't remove the chemical build-up.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Well, I suppose a cap would help if they wore it all the time, and kept all of their hair tucked into it. For us, that just does not happen. My boys wear a cap when racing, and sometimes when practicing - but not even close to the majority of the time spent in the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.