Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some suggestions to help with severe fatigue issues. I've always had problems tiring easily no matter how much sleep I get at night. When I was a teenager/ early twenties I would use my lunch break at work to take an hour nap. If I didn't I wouldn't make it through the day without nodding off. But up until a few month ago that was all that was needed, just an afternoon nap. Now I feel tired and achy all the time. I go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 6:30 - 7 am. 4-5 nights a week all 3 kids STTN, occasionally my youngest wakes up once a night and wants to nurse but that only last 15 20 minutes and I'm back to sleep. So I believe I'm getting enough hours of sleep. Well by 11 am I'm completely bushed to the point if I sit down to long my eyes start to get heavy. If my dh is home he watches the kids while I take a nap at 2 ish. I can nap for 2-3 hours and still go to bed at 10 no problem. But beyond that my body has been feeling achy at the littlest things. Washing dishes (by hand) wears me out and I have to go sit down after and rest. Doing laundry or playing with the kids for extended periods of time is tiring. And in the evening after the kids are in bed and I sit down w/ dh to watch tv or talk my joints hurt, mainly knees and ankles. I'm only 26 and while I could definitely benefit from loosing a little weight I don't think I'm huge at 155 and 5 ft 5 in. I take a prenatal vitamin (still nursing 11 month old), fish oil, and B6 - 50 mg. So what gives? I have great blood pressure, pulse and all that good stuff. Dr. doesn't see any physical reason. I eat lots of fresh veggie/ fruit. Mostly chicken w/ occasional beef. I'm not depressed except when I get tired from doing dishes or playing with my kids I do get a little upset because its not right. We want to TTC #4 but I'm concerned that it will only make this worse. Any ideas on supplements I can take to help get some energy back?

oh, I thought it might be yeast problem because I do crave sugar a lot but I wasn't sure if yeast could make problems this bad for this long.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I'd look at deficiencies and conditions that cause fatigue.

I was just like you--down to husband coming home so I could take a three hour nap. Turns out I had a co-q-10 deficiency. Adult mitochondrial disorder can look like this too and cause co-q-10 to be low. Carnitine is another doctors don't check that can be low and cause these symptoms. Doctors don't check them because they are unfamiliar with metabolics. But I strongly suggest you get both of those checked given your symptoms.

Another thing to check is vitamin D levels (25 hydroxy D). It can cause the pain and fatigue.

Other things they checked on me were parathyroid (calcium levels I think), folic acid, b12, and b6.

But co-q-10 was my issue. I'm waiting on vitamin D levels.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Your great blood pressure--it's low, right? I had "great" blood pressure for years, too. There's a big thread, The Adrenal Thread, that I think you should check out. The achiness/getting hurt easily (I'd get a blood test for D, that may help a bit) is typical of adrenal issues. And "all that good stuff" does that include low cholesterol? Cholesterol is chemically related to the adrenal hormones and the chemical that sunshine makes into D (my low cholesterol is how I got low, even living in Texas, and being darn pale).

Adrenal issues have to do with chronic stress, and everybody, it seems, has a different mix of stresses. Life events (even in childhood), food intolerances, nutrient deficiencies, chronic illnesses (like epstein-barr or lyme, or in my case issues from the mercury in my amalgam fillings), oftentimes it's several of these things.

You can order a saliva test from canaryclub.com, it's a 4x/day saliva test to see how much cortisol (and a few other hormones) your body is making on a typical day. The big thread I referenced discusses it more. An alternative HCP should be able to help, too.

I am waiting on TTC because I want my adrenals in better shape before I do. I don't like being exhausted and irritable and just plain run down. And for me, the nutritional stress of pregnancy and nursing 2 kids was significant, and rebuilding from that takes a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.