Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Hotsling in the mail yesterday but I don't know if it's too big/small or if it just takes a bit getting used to (I've never used a sling before). My dd is almost 8 months old and I tried her in the hip carry. It seemed like there was a bit of slack (but that's okay, right?) but she felt snug, like she couldn't fall out. I had to twist the fabric on the shoulder to make it feel right. The only thing is that she doesn't quite sit on my hip- she sits just under it. I think if I go a size down it will definately be too small.

Also, I tired nursing her in it and it felt a bit snug to do that. Is that something that I can't do with this for her age? Oh, and I tried the front carry (with her turned out) and she seemed to slump to the side and I was afraid she would tumble out.

What am I doing wrong?! I really don't want to have to find yet another sling to try (I've already tried a few and none seem to work!!!).

Help!

S.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
In the hip carry, make sure the seam is at your hip and that her bottom really sits down into the pouch, with the bottom edge down to the back of her knees and the top edge pulled up under her arms. Doing a shoulder flip in this carry is standard in any kind of pouch since that's the only way to tighten the top rail.

The only way I could ever really nurse in a pouch was to slide the whole thing, baby and all, around until the baby was in the football position at the breast opposite the shoulder with the sling on it. Another option is to put her head on the "lower" end of the pouch, opposite the shoulder with the sling on it, and just use that hand to support her head.

In the kangaroo carry, make sure you tilt her butt outward a bit so she leans back against you. You can also pull the outer edge up over the shoulder of the lower side of the pouch to help her stay upright, but if she's leaning back between your boobs she shouldn't slide over as much.
HTH!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That helped a lot! I'm so excited about using this sling. I used it today at church and just around the house and my dd just thought it was the greastest. She cuddled right up to me and went to sleep (and she NEVER cuddles with me!).

S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.