Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am writing this because I am desperate for help with my 3 year old son. He lost most of his hearing when he was about age 1. He has hearing aids and is able to hear, but since he lost his hearing at such a young age, he is pretty much just now learning words, and has troubles with understanding the meaning of certain words. I have to come to a point that I feel hopeless with his behavior. I dread taking him to stores because he will climb out of the carts, and run away from me. He thinks that it is a game when I have to chase him down. He does the same thing at home. He will lock himself in a room and wont open the door. I have tried every thing possible to get him to listen to me. He doesnt understand the concept of "time outs". My biggest fear is the danger in the things that he does, like running out in front of a car (he is very very fast). If he starts to walk away from me in the store or something, he will just smile at me and then bolt off. I need help in trying to get him under control, I lose my patience very easily with this and I know that its not helping. Anybody have any suggestions???

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does he go to any kind of speech therapy? Perhaps they can work on some of the words with him that you think are important, like stop, or wait. I'm sure you could do this at home also and do some roll playing, perhaps with some stuffed animals.

My son had one of those cute backpacks with a (gasp) leash on it. I don't care what people say about them (and those who use them), it was either that or my son dead on the street and I chose the leash. :wink:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe you should get in touch with a therapist or someone who has been in the same situation with a child who lost hearing, there must be many things that a therapist can help you with dealing with a curious toddler.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts