Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does an ob/gyn actually get his fee for the physical delivery (not prenatal care!) if s/he misses it?<br><br>
Just need to know please as I'm trying to write something on midwifery care etc.<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Well, *someone* gets paid I'm sure....and the way that most hospitals work, the different OBs at least share 'on call' days among the different members of a practice; here, even the different practices share call with other practices. So, there might be 2-3 OBs in the practice you are using, and you will probably be asked to have prenatals with each one since the OB you actually hired might not be on call the day you birth. Well, there might be 9-10 or more OBs from the other local practices....and each one takes an oncall day. So, some OB or another is going to be at your birth, you might or might not have met them in advance, and someone is going to get paid. I'm not sure how the OBs divide up the money that is paid for all the births in a given month--but payment is indeed collected from clients/insurance and then paid out to practitioners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well depends on who "catches." Where I work, If Dr misses delivery because another Dr delivered the baby AND placenta who ever "caught" gets paid. Sometimes in an emergency and the nearest Dr whether he is affiliated with the patients particular practive or not will deliver. If a nurse delivers, no extra fee. Ha! Cheaper fee for a CNM delivery, vaginal MD delivery, and most expensive is a c-section. Hope that helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts