Mothering Forum banner

What should we do??

• Bring 3-year-old into our bed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try sleeping 3-year-old with older sister

• Try a sleeping bag on our floor

• Keep doing what we're doing now (hubby getting her back to sleep)

• Get tougher--Supernanny style

• Something else I haven't thought of!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We have had problems with our almost 3-year-old for some time now during the night. She has been in her own bed for over a year (the bottom of a bunk bed--her 5-year-old sister sleeps in the top bunk). She wakes up during the night every night, often multiple times.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am in bed with our 8-month-old, so my husband has the responsibility of getting her back to bed. Sometimes he can just put her back to bed, but often she keeps getting up, and sometimes he has to stay with her or go on the couch with her. He is at his rope's end. He is tired and cranky and tells me he feels like screaming at her.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It has been going on for so long. Obviously we need to do something different, if only for my husband's sanity. We tried getting her the kind of night light that is like a toy and she can keep in bed with her. This worked well for her older sister when she started waking up a while back. But it hasn't helped with our 3-year-old.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think my husband would prefer we get tough with her now, whereas I would prefer to try something like bring her into our bed. We already have our 8-month-old in our bed though, and I don't want her to be awoken by her sister. Baby sleeps in the middle. I'm thinking I could maybe put up a bed rail and put baby on that side, me in the middle, and let 3-year-old go on the other side (hubby would have to go to the couch). I'm pretty sure he won't go for that though!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We've talked about putting a sleeping bag on our floor and telling her she can come up and sleep there as long as she doesn't wake us up; if she wakes us up, she has to go back to her bed. Again, this worked with her older sister who would sometimes come up and sleep on the couch without waking us up. But I'm pretty sure 3-year-old wouldn't do it; I think she would still wake us up as I think she wants the contact with us.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've also considered having her sleep with her older sister, but I don't really think that would help--I think she'd still get up and come to us. I don't know. My husband has suggested things like shutting the door and not going to her but I just can't do that. We're usually on the same page with parenting but we're gravitating towards opposite ends with this one, and since I have to tend to the baby, he's the one who has to deal with the 3-year-old.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.</p>

·
Registered
86 Posts
<p>Oh I remember this stage! Only in the past 6 months has our 5 yr old finally not needed some type of contact to feel secure in the middle of the night. A few things that worked for us were, talking the older sibling into cuddling on the bottom bunk from the very beginning of the night. This was very effective for us and reduced the night time requests quite a bit. Before that we put a $30 toddler bed at our bedside so that we could place a hand on top of his belly when he needed contact or was upset. I'm sure it's a lot harder w/your hubby being kind of done w/the ap strategies but if one of those work and he can just get a little more sleep maybe he'll be ready to get on board! Good luck!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts