Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really can't believe i am here yet again sigh.....

a bit of background on our losses. our first lost we found out when we were 16 weeks, we went for our routine midwife appointment and couldn't find a heartbeat, an ultrasound a few days later showed the baby had died between 12-14 weeks. we decided to let nature take it's course but by 18 weeks still not much was happening so we induced labor with cytotec (after much research we decided it was the best option for us), all this happened over christmas and our daughter was born after 10 hours of labour.

3 months later we got pregnant again. all was going well, we went for our routine 20 week ultrasound which showed low amniotic fluid, after 6 weeks of watching and trying to figure out what was going on we finally found enough fluid to do an amnio which showed a rare fatal chromosome defect. we choose to induce labour and our son died on his own the day before we induced. we used cytotec again on low doses and it took 3 days before we were into full blown labour.

we then took a 7 month break to get healthy and heal phsyically and mentally and were thrilled to be pregnant again in april. we had an 8 week ultrasound that showed everything right where it should be, but our ultrasound today showed the baby died not long after the ultrasound
as of right now my body still doesn't know, i still have all the pregnancy symptoms and i am worried about how long this can take. (i am just over 11 weeks).
we have the standard options available to us and right now i am leaning heavily towards the d&c, i know it has risks but from my experience my body doesn't like to let go of my babies and i am not wanting to cytotec and have the whole labor thing again.

does anyone have any positive d&c stories? and what is having one like?

thanks

tara

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Tara, I am so sorry this happened again. I don't have any stories but my heart aches for you.
Gossamer

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Oh Tara! I'm so sorry that you are going through this again. My heart sank as I read your name signed to the bottom of the post. I'm absolutely heatbroken for you and your family.
As for D&C stories...my first loss occured at 14 weeks, an ultrasound at 10 weeks showed a baby measuring small with no heartbeat. My HCG levels were normal and continued to increase over the next couple days. By week 11 my HCG levels were beginning to decrease and there was still no heartbeat. I decided to let my body work and opted not to have a D&C. It took 4 weeks, the wait was horrible and the labor painful. I miscarried at home and was starting to feel fine. After a couple days I was still bleeding lightly but in horrible pain. Another ultrasound showed that I had miscarried completely but my uterus was really swollen and my endometrium so thick the the inner walls were touching. I had a "partial" D&C to remove all the exta tissue...I'm not sure which steps they left out. It was a painful procedure...they numb your cervix and the shots hurt a little, but you can still feel what they're doing in there. I guess it was just more uncomfortable than anything. It is pretty fast though, at least it was for me, maybe 4 or 5 minutes top. I felt better immediately afterwards and quit bleeding that same day. The positive side is that it is over quickly and your body can begin to heal sooner. I was seeing a midwife who couldn't preform the procedure herself, so I was with a different doctor...it might have been more comfortable with someone I knew.
I'm so sorry that you are going through this and you have these decisions to make. Let me know if I can help, and as always I'm here if you need to talk.
Jessica

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Hi Tara--

First, I am so sorry for your losses. I also lost a baby at 20 weeks due to a fatal genetic anomaly, and I know laboring for a dead baby is HARD.

I had a D&C as a teenager; it wasn't a physically difficult experience. Certainly much easier than artificially-induced labor at 20 weeks. It was all over within minutes, I got some pain relief, and went home. It's what I would do if I knew a miscarriage were impending.

So many hugs to you. May you have some peace and relief soon, and be very, very good to yourself.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So sorry Tara.
I experienced both a delivery at 16wks, and a month later a d&c due to retained "tissue" and severe bleeding. It had not been twins.

My experience with the d&c was fairly easy. No pain, just weird being under anesthesia and waking up feeling so out of it. Going home that day was the hardest because it was round 2 of leaving the hospital without the child I dreamed of.

The danger of waiting, esp if your body is still not 'aware' of the death, is the deterioration that can occur and make your healthy body septic. You can get very sick, as I am sure you are aware. Sometimes our bodies do not want to fully 'let go' -as mine didn't.

Do what is right for you & your family. I deeply believe that the attitude with which we approach things can ultimately have a dramatic affect on the outcome.

Peace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts