Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help & perspective on dd. She always seems to be sick, but nothing major. It's always a runny nose, little cough, tired looking, pale (well she's always pale so a bit under the weather makes her look extra pale)...she just doesn't seem robustly healthy & there's nothing distinctly wrong with her. For example, she'll have a fever & runny nose for a day & then nothing. And then it pops again a week later (what we're dealing with now).

She's always been tall & thin, around 50% weight, 90% height since she was born. She nursed heavily until she was 2 & just weaned this summer.

She's not a big eater, very picky & very small portions. The stuff she eats is pretty healthy...yogurt, whole grain bread & cereal bars, fruit, pasta, cheese, but never a whole lot. If we have pancakes for breakfast, she'll usually say she's full after 1 medium size one, with no butter or syrup as well. She eats 'junk' food a couple of times a week (cookies, a brownie or a cupcake at a party) but even then she usually limits herself. I don't want food issues so I don't push but encourage her to finish.

She takes a multivitamin, usually every day.

She just started pre-K this September, but she's always had these little things so I don't think there's a strong correlation. She loves going & has even asked if she can go the other days (she goes 3x/week). Her father & I are splitting up, & even though we don't fight or discuss things much in front of her, I'm sure she definitely is feeling the stress.

She's always had nose/sinus issues (snoring, nasal sounding, etc.) & I'll be bringing her to an ENT later in the month.

We have a regular doctor's appointment later this week. I don't love this doctor, but I live in mainstream hell & this is the best I've found without driving 50 minutes.

I'm not totally against medicine, but I'd more like to have a healthy kid without a lot of intervention.

Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
How about a gluten or dairy sensitivity? Some of the things you mentioned sound like classic symptoms, especially the runny nose & nasal/sinus stuff. By "tired looking" do you mean dark under eye circles? Because those are ofetn a sign of a food allergy as well.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the dairy, but then I seriously think 'what would she eat' & I'm really not so sure.

As far as tired looking, sometimes dark circles, but also heavy lidded eyes.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
What about anemia? My oldest dd used to have big problems with anemia. In order to find it, we had to have a full iron panel done. When we just had the hemoglobin checked it was always low normal. But the full panel was seriously off. If someone is anemic, the iron in a multivitamin is not enough to correct it. I also have very little faith in regular iron supplements. I like chlorophyll or Floradix.

Anemia can make you seem "not well" as you describe your daughter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.