Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My 24 month old son is slated for some dental work tomorrow.
On the Dental board, it was reccommended that I get some Roman Chamomile and rub it on his feet, and some "peace and Calming" and rub it on his neck. My question is do I need to put it in a carrier oil? No one mentioned that on the dental board. That board is not all that active, and this is not a dental problem per se, so that is why I am posting here. Also any other tips on relaxing a toddler for med procedures would make me eternally grateful

Thanks
Karen

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
When I've used oils for my son for dental work, I quite often just put it on the collar of his shirt so he would breathe it in. The chamomile is a pretty gentle oil, so you could probably apply it directly. I usually just try a very small bit first in an area like an arm so it's easy to wash off if there's a reaction and make sure there's no reaction to it.

As an additional note, I've also given Rescue Remedy to my son just before going into the dentist chair.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rescue remedy should really well for you. It's a flower essence, not an essential oil and it can be taken internally by drops to the mouth and frequently. I use it for teething all the time. Make sure it is the Bach brand. The chamomile should work well I would use carrier oil and rub gently on cheeks. Good luck,Mary

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rescue remedy should work really well for you. It's a flower essence, not an essential oil and it can be taken internally by drops to the mouth and frequently (a few drops every hour is ok or less as you need). I use it for teething all the time. Make sure it is the Bach brand. The chamomile should work well - I would use carrier oil and rub gently on cheeks. Good luck, Mary

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Chamomile, Lavendar, and Tea Tree oils are the only oils you can use "neat", (without a carrier oil). It should not hurt your little one at all. Rubbing it on the bottoms of his feet will get it into his blood stream quickly. Be sure if you use any other oil to always always always use a carrier oil. The undiluted ols can cause painful burns, especially to a baby. I would also use rescue remedy right before and a few hours after the appointment.

Kathi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.