Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become a short order cook. It is driving me crazy because of the time needed for making individual dinners for my ds and myself and then the other 3 family members eating something else. It is also killing my budget.
My ds is allergic to Asparagus, Barley, Cabbage, Cheese molds, Coconut, Corn, Crab, Eggs, Eggplant, Garlic, Gluten, Grape, Lettuce, Malt, Casein, Oat, Peanut, Peppers, Pineapple, Rice (mildly) Rye, Soybean, Tomato,Walnuts,Watermelon, Bakers Yeast, Yogurt.
I am allergic to Almond,Avacado, Banana, Bayleaf, lima Bean, Pinto Bean, Beef, Broccoli, Corn, Melons, Casein, Catfish, Cherimoya,Celery, carrots (mildly), cheesemolds, cashews, Cauliflower, Cinnamon, Chicken Eggs, Coconut, Lemon, Lettuce, Lobster, Mustard, Oranges, Peanuts, Persimmons, Pineapple, Peas, Pine nuts, Onions, Pears, Peaches, Nectarines, Sunflower seeds, Shrimp, Sole, Summersquashes, Soy,Sugar cane (mildly), Trout, Turkey, Potato, Sesame seed.
Basically the 2 meats I can eat are pork and Lamb, (not sure about Bison, rabbit or deer as they were not tested), so I figure if I can find GF SF meals for me, I can add meats for the rest of the family? But with both garlic and onion out, they are pretty tasteless...
Help save my sanity!!!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Don't have much time right now, but wanted to mention a few things. First, did you go to Kathy's blog? She has a bunch or recipes and is dealing with different allergies in different children and herself.

Then, some things I don't see on your list that are staples for us: millet, buckwheat, sorghum, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds (as egg replacer), sweet potato, daikon, and then random asian veggies that I don't know the English names for (gai lan, qing cun, bai cai). I think you will be able to get some of these at asian grocers, if you have one nearby. Also, lamb with sage is good. Or rosemary. Oh and coriander and cumin. And I think pork with five spice isn't bad. Experiment with herbs and spices.

Have you looked into rotation diets? That might be somewhat helpful for you. Also, there is a lot of talk going on right now about healing vs. avoidance, which might be helpful for so many allergens (all IgG or some IgE?). I think the thing is to avoid the IgE's for sure. I know that sometimes when people do rotation they add their IgG allergens in, but only once every 7 days.

I am sure other mamas will have more ideas.

Hugs mama.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
So let's focus on things you CAN eat (things I didn't see on your NO list):

MEATS: salmon, pork, lamb, chicken (I only see chicken eggs on your NO list), cod
FRUIT: apples, fig, date (including date sugar), kiwi, mango, papaya, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, cranberry, olive (including olive oil), apples, apricot, cherry, lime, plum, grapefruit
VEGETABLES: artichoke, brussel sprouts, mushroom, lentils, winter squash, spinach, cucumber, beet (including beet sugar and greens), radish, string bean, navy bean, chickpeas
GRAINS: rice (in rotation?), buckwheat, millet, sorghum, tapioca
OTHER: sugar cane (in rotation?), rosemary, vanilla, nutmeg, saffron, parsley, cumin, flaxseed, honey, maple sugar/syrup, cloves, ginger, mint, thyme, basil, oregano, cocoa, dill

Do you feel comfortable putting the mild ones on your list occasionally or in rotation? We do a 4-day rotation, and the mild stuff can be eaten on one of those 4 days. For example, we do beef, chicken, pork, salmon (except on day 1, DD2 can't have beef so she has chicken two days in a row, and on day 2, DS can't have chicken, so he does beef two days in a row; salmon and pork are both mild, so they stay in the rotation).

Branch out. We've had to try new foods that we hadn't before and combine things in new ways.

From the list above, here's a couple of ideas:
BREAKFAST: puffed millet cereal, hot buckwheat cereal, buckwheat waffles, bacon, sausage, Canadian bacon
LUNCH: my DS loves curried chickpeas (we found one safe curry powder he can have), sauteed in olive oil. Stir fried veggies, or spinach salad (oil & vinegar).
DINNER: pork roast (dill, sea salt), baked salmon (olive oil and sea salt), salmon cakes (held together with a flaxegg, an alternative flour, and some seasonings), pork chops on the grill brushed with olive oil or pork kebabs with brussel sprouts and mushrooms

Remember when you can have a food, you can usually have all forms of it, like beet, beet sugar, and beet greens, or maple syrup and maple sugar, or dates and date sugar, or pork, bacon, sausage, lard, pork gelatin (Great Lakes Gelatin), or apples, apple juice, apple pectin, apple cider vinegar

I tend to do different meals for breakfast and lunch, but everyone eats the same dinner (though not everyone can eat every part of dinner; for instance sometimes we have something over rice, where DS can't have the rice but he can have the meat and the veggie).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Kathy is the expert she has great ideas.

One meal we all love and is grey reheated is slurpy greans.
It is cooked greens with sausage and bone broth and seansonings.
Cook sausage either sliced or crumbled. Set aside. Keep fat in pan, add more if needed add spices (whatever floats your boat), add greens and broth (around 2cups of broth) gently cook, add sausage 10 min into cooking. When greens are tender thicken it with a safe flour or starch. Eat as a soup or pour over a grain.
Can you have yeast? If yes, you can make my foccacia bread in the recipe sticky.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the response, somehow typing out the big lists, I missed chicken. We used to eat alot of it. I have 3 typical responses, migraines, diahrrea and blisters in my mouth.
Only a couple things are Ana... chocolate/avacado.
Yes, I do a kind of rotation for myself, we are using potato milk and we eat chips or fries so I am probably overdoing the potatoes, but ... I can rotate beef once ot twice a week and my son can handle rice a few times a week now after being off it completely for 6 months.
I did search Kathy's site, its great! I found several recipes I can use, (mostly for sweets but I figure I can change out the chicken for pork in a few of them)

How do I heal us rather than just avoiding things? Is that with enzymes or probiotics? Is it possible to heal from the IgE allergies? I really hate the oral blisters, they hurt...

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
There are a lot things you can do to heal, but the most basic ones are probiotics (dairy free), CLO or salmon oil, Vitamin C (I like Twinlabs vit c+quercetin, a natural antihistamine and immune booster), and glutamine (either supplemented; Twinlabs is corn free; or from bone broth, if you can make it with a safe meat). Others can probably add to the "basics" list (maybe vit D?). I think rotation is a good idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.