Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some guidance with my 3.5 yr old little boy. We have moved from Ontario to Alberta in the past 3 months so there has been a lot of change for him. Also I had another baby last Sept so he has an 11 month old sister. Anyhow,I am trying to get out so he can meet some other kids and also I would like him to have some activity instead of staying home everyday. It seems that everytime I take him to a play place of any sort or an activity he has a huge screaming fit. He is so loud I can't even hear myself think. It makes me a little bit crazy. I have tried to soothe him and tell him it is okay and hug him. I ask him not to scream and to tell me how he feels without yelling. We always end up leaving and going home in the end.I ask him if he wants to have some quiet time when we gets home and he still screams. I am nto sure what to do since as he gets older it gets harder and harder to settle him. What would you do? Not take him to anything and keep him at home? I am dreading the airplane ride back in August to visit family. I guess I feel a bit helpless here and don't know which way to turn.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Are you familiar with Aletha Solter's concept of crying to heal?

Your son's behaviour sounds very much like something a friend and her son went through in his transition to preschool. Your little man has had a lot to process and perhaps doesn't possess the tools to express himself? He needs to know you love and support him. He needs to learn that he can trust you and he can turn to you for comfort. He needs catharsis. So, without knowing you or your son - and you can feel free to reject my suggestion - I would support him through his venting and show him that you trust he will get there in his own time. I can't say how long it will take. For my friend it was a few intense weeks and a few relapses over a couple of months, but they did come out the other side more self-possessed and confident and sociable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts