Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if the subject line made sense but here's my problem:

6.5m DD has a regular routine with naps: basically she needs to go down every 2 hours and the last evening nap is a hit or miss depending on what time she wakes from the 2nd nap.

The problem is she's waking up within 40 minutes of sleeping, clearly and painfully still tired and in dire need of more sleep. She can't push past her partial awakening and get into the next sleep cycle.

I've tried waiting by her side and patting her back to sleep and I've tried letting her try to work it out on her own -- both with no success. The only thing that's "worked" is picking her up and offering her a boob to comfort suck back to sleep. And even that takes about 15-20 minutes to get her back to sleep. From that point it's 50% she'll wake in another 40 minutes and 50% she'll sleep for an hour.

She won't take a binky, she's swaddled (needs to be), I've got white-noise -- what else can I do?? If it was just me and her, I'd rock her until eternity if needed but I've got a 3yo who needs me too. And no one else can relieve me if I need a break. I can't even go to the market for an hour on the weekends when DH is home to help bc she'll wake up within minutes and scream bloody murder until I come home.

Does anyone have an advice for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
the no cry sleep solution suggests giving the boob to get them back to sleep...it will take maybe 2 weeks, and then they may not need the boob.
This worked for us...if he doesn't go back to sleep within 5 minutes, I give up and let him play and maybe he'll nap again or go to bed earlier then usual.

Dawn

·
Registered
663 Posts
Wow, we must have the same baby, but mine is 8 mos. He's on the exact same schedule. I've been trying to extend his naps (been reading the No Cry Sleep Sol.) like the PP said in hopes that he will be able to do it himself at some point, although we're traveling for Thanksgiving and that's going to screw everything up, I'm sure.
: Sometimes the boob works, especially if he seems tired when he has just woken up. I"ll be interested to see what others have to say.

Mary

·
Registered
581 Posts
My DS is much younger, but sometimes he'll continue a nap by nursing back to sleep. I've found, though, that he'll often take a nice long nap if I'm wearing him. I think when he starts to wake up and I'm wearing him I move and pat him in such a way that he is able to get right back to sleep, whereas when he's laying down he can't quite get himself back. Is this an option for you? A nice sling, or an Ergo if your baby is bigger, might do the trick.

·
Registered
948 Posts
My dd does the same thing, however she's only 6 weeks old so I suppose that's normal. Sometimes though she makes little fussing noises but never really wakes up so I just let her keep sleeping. I'm still trying to train dp not to run and grab her and really wake her up at her first whimper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, this is exactly like my daughter, same age too. I've tried the No CrySleepSolution method and it hasn't work for me. I think its too disruptive to pick her up and then nurse...after that she's fully awake. I'm just hoping that as she ages her naps will get longer.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wow! I wish my DS would have napped that much at six months. We went down to two naps at four months and now at nine months, we're lucky to get a 30 min nap in during the day. It sucks. I want more naps. I got a lot done!!!

Jen

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
the no cry sleep solution suggests giving the boob to get them back to sleep...it will take maybe 2 weeks, and then they may not need the boob.
This worked for us...if he doesn't go back to sleep within 5 minutes, I give up and let him play and maybe he'll nap again or go to bed earlier then usual.

Dawn
OP--
that was totally my baby-- and still is at 11mos!!!! actualy worse-- his clock wakes him at 20 - 30 mins. at least you get 40 mins!!!!!!

Dawn-- I also read the NCSS and tried the "get them back to sleep" solution she offered but it never worked for us. go figure
:

Oh well, he still naps like this-- down for a catnap every 2 - 4 hours.

good luck-- i hope some of these tips work for you! oh and I second the sling tip, esp. since you have a 3 yr old to be with!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have that problem, too... The thing is, when he wakes up (within 20 or 30 minutes -- that's the most I get), he smiles and coos and rolls around. He's SO awake! I don't think nursing again would put him back to sleep. Sometimes he wakes up crying, though. I wonder if that means he's ready for more sleep and would be receptive to nursing.

I keep hoping this will resolve on its own in a month or two!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies mamas. I've tried slinging and wrapping her but DS is so loud that she doesn't get any sleep. Plus she tends to wake more often when I sling her vs. laying her down in her crib.

It kills me to see her crying with puffy eyes because she's so tired. When offered the boob, she usually goes back to sleep immediately -- it's the laying her back down part that's hard.

Well, we finally worked out the nighttime sleep so I guess the naptime issues will eventually work itself out. Right?!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts