Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are 2 and 3 1/2.<br><br>
My 2 year old is constantly taking things from my 3 1/2 year old. My 3 1/2 year old is very sensitive, so things go from happy playing to freaking out in seconds.<br><br>
I need some ideas on how to deal with the sibling issues that are happening on a constant basis.<br><br>
Sibling without rivalry, I've thought of reading, but I thought this was for older kids.... and my kids are quite young.<br><br>
Tammy

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mmm.... anyone?<br><br>
I'd think someone has had to run into sibling issues at young ages before...<br><br>
Tammy

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think Siblings Without Rivalry is helpful no matter what the age. My DSs are 5 & 3, and I first read it about 2 years ago. It helped me "reframe" the conflict in my OWN eyes, so that I could focus on coaching them and then working myself out of the situation. I think the patterns that you establish when they are small are so hard to overcome later, that it's a good idea to establish the patterns you want to follow. So even if half of SWR is beyond your kids, you're still seeing the place you want to eventually get to, kwim?<br><br>
Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
It is defintitely hard at this age. SWOR did not work well for my family, but perhaps it would for yours. It's worth a read.<br><br>
Maybe you don't really need to DO something about this so much. I mean OK the 2 y.o. is grabbing the 3 y.o.'s toys. And then the 3 y.o. cries. Do you think the 3 y.o. has gotten into a "victim" pattern? What kind of attention do you give the 3 y.o. when the crying starts? How much is in front of the 2 y.o.?<br><br>
I would probably comfort the 3 y.o. without acessing any blame on the 2 y.o.<br>
I would try to seperate them (not from you, from each other) if they are really going at it. Something like "Hmm, you guys are NOT getting along right now. DC1 play with your cars on the floor and DC2 come sit up here and look at your books."

·
Registered
403 Posts
What I do when my kids are having a hard time getting along is clear out a day to spend with them 100%. I stay right near by and alert so I can step in before there are too many hurt feelings. I try to walk them through dealing with it on their own. At this age, I would urge the 3yo to tell the 2 yo that he was playing with it and encourage the 2yo to ask to use it when 3yo is done and find something else to play with.<br><br>
They won't fight forever (although somedays it seems like they just might!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts