Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just moved into a new home with a lovely red brick sidewalk. Despite my best efforts, I can't control the weeds that grow up and around the bricks. I've tried repeated sprayings of vinegar, but that only a helps a bit, and definitely not with the grass that seems to have taken root. Help! I absolutely don't want to resort to ROUND Up or some other terrible chemical, but I do need to do something FAST. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I just found out a few months that household vinegar is not the stuff to use, it has to be some industrial like grade of vinegar, strong stuff. I agree with the boiling water. And, good old fashioned back breaking work, i.e. digging them all up then applying a nice thick mulch.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We have similar situation with our slate stone walkways. This year I finally decided I've suffered :LOL for enough years, and we got a flame weeder from Gardener's Supply Company. It's basically just a propane torch & you burn the weeds. It works FANTASTIC! Supposedly it's a handy tool with winter ice, as well. Of course, you need to be careful....cuz you're using fire (duh)....but it really works well. A bit pricey, but much safer than RoundUp, etc. and much easier than pulling them all.

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/se...ndising=Search

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonfroggy
pour boiling water on them
Okay, I tried the boiling water thing before I resorted to vinegar, and they laughed at me. Not really, but they didn't shrivel up and die either. I like that flame weeder thingy though. It's a definite possibilty.

Shaywyn, usually I'm the first to try weeding the old-fashioned way but I'm spending hours on this--it's a decent expanse of sidewalk. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I welcome all!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilovelife
We have similar situation with our slate stone walkways. This year I finally decided I've suffered :LOL for enough years, and we got a flame weeder from Gardener's Supply Company. It's basically just a propane torch & you burn the weeds. It works FANTASTIC! Supposedly it's a handy tool with winter ice, as well. Of course, you need to be careful....cuz you're using fire (duh)....but it really works well. A bit pricey, but much safer than RoundUp, etc. and much easier than pulling them all.

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/se...ndising=Search
My sister has one, they love it.

But, I think you can find them cheaper than gardner's supply, I am sure she did not get hers there

ETA: Okay, I clicked on your link, that price seems pretty reasonable
and it's on sale!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaywyn
But, I think you can find them cheaper than gardner's supply, I am sure she did not get hers there

ETA: Okay, I clicked on your link, that price seems pretty reasonable
and it's on sale!

:LOL If you *must* know, the Gard. Supply outlet is nearby & I got a returned one. They sell all their returns 20% off. But I agree, they are generally overpriced. I searched around when we decided to get this, though, and everyplace I could find was about the same price, within $10 or so.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So when you use the flame weeder, does it create a sort of scorched earth look? Because that's what we're aiming for. Seriously, the weeds take over so quickly that the sidewalk gets engulfed--i've watched a section around the corner disappear over the last two weeks--you can't see the red of the bricks any longer, and I don't want that to happen in front of my house--it looks so unkempt, and it's important to note that this house was previously on the city's garden walk tour, so I feel the need to live up to the standard set a few years ago. I've ordered the flame-thrower (cause it looks really fun) but knowing that it will clear things quickly will make my ROUND UP lover happier (although when I showed him the flame weeder he did perk up a bit--what is it about men and pyrotechnics anyway?)

Weedily yours,

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Oh, yeah, you get a scorched look! Actually, what I do is burn them all to kill them one day. They sort of shrivel just like when you spray them with roundup
:. Then I go back a day or so later & use the torch again to burn away all the dead plant bits, so the sidewalk looks nice & clean. The one year I tried roundup, I got even more irritated because it killed all the weeds, but then I was stuck with sidewalks full of dead weeds, instead of green ones. They still needed to be pulled out. Not much point to that (ok, I realize your supposed to use it before the weeds overtake the entire area...). Anyway, enjoy your flame weeder. My dh is totally enthralled by it, too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts