Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried everything to get rid of the stink in my FB hemp inserts-bleach, tons of washing and rinsing, boiling, TTO (I didn't try microwave since it is ALL of them, didn't think running a microwave for 3 hours straight was a good idea). Anyway, they still stink. Someone had mentioned that they use a wet pail, I am wondering if the ammonia smell would be lessened if I used a wet pail instead of a dry. I have a small apt and there is no where to put them that doesn't stink up the whole house. I can't wash as much as I'd like to, it costs me $4.50 to wash them once so I do it once or twice a week, trading off with sposies-probably a big reason I still have a stink problem. Anyway, is a wet pail less smelly? How do you do a wet pail?

·
Registered
281 Posts
:

I'm interested to see responses, b/c mine, too, stink constantly. I find that if I use an appropriately small amount of detergent, the ones that were pooped in still smell poopy after washed. But if I up the detergent, I get buildup & they reek of ammonia when he pees in them. So I have to use a bit more detergent and rinse the heck out of them EVERY time I wash them. I'd like to find another solution too!

·
Registered
317 Posts
hello! i dont know about a wet pail, but i know that if you buy a cheap hamper at your local Xmart store, the kind w/holes in it, the air flow through them actually makes the smell *not* take over the house!

but, i also wanted to add that i think it must be the hemp inserts that are causing the stink. my friend bought some fb and cannot stand the smell, hers came w/the fb inserts. i have never had a problem w/the smell in mine, i actually cant hardly smell them. i bought mine of the tp here, w/no inserts, so i use an infant cpf in them. so, before getting too discouraged, you may just want to try a different insert?

other mamas here will be able to help you way more than me, but i wanted to throw that out there!

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it is the inserts, my FB's don't smell. But the hemp is what works best for us so I feel kind of strapped, yk? Also, we keep it in a regular laundry basket-holes is an understatement-but like I said, I'd rather not have the stink at all since we live in a small apt. Maybe someone else knows something I haven't tried? I know mamas use wet pails, I've seen posts!
I hate how my joking tone never comes across that way in type...

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I would strongly suggest doing a nice LONG soak in plenty of baking soda in COLD water. That was the only thing that got rid of stink for me after I let diapers sit for 2 weeks
:. If they are already wet/soiled I would do this :

cold rinse
cold soak with lots of baking soda
then your regular hot wash

Pretty simple and it does work!

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
What about a long soak in bio-kleen? I've never used (I don't think my ds's skin would take it - they are quite sensitive) but have read good things about it. Also, if you like the hemp, what about getting hemp flats ... they clean a lot more easily than the inserts, but will give you the super absorbancy power of the hemp inserts. (Plus you can hang them to dry.
)

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was really disappointed in the biokleen, but flats are a really good idea. My next set of FB's I think I will go with flats. (I made all of my inserts), I also recently made a friend 2-ply hemp inserts instead of 3-ply. That might work well too.

I've never tried a cold soak with baking soda. I have lots of it so I will give it a try. I bet I could use that as a wet pail a few times and see if I notice a difference.

Thanks, that was really helpful!

·
Registered
602 Posts
someone that knows fbs better tham me might know this. can you use dawn on them to strip them? i think dawn can be used to strip fleece (are fbs mircofleece--i have no idea). that might be another option?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I use those inserts and I got the stink out by rinsing urine *and* poop with the minishower before putting them in the pail. I then do a plain water rinse in the washer, a HOT soak overnight with Sportswash, and that's it. It took a few times of doing this to get the stink out. I also hang them in the sun if possible.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Lemon Juice!!
Here's my routine for incurable FB ammonia stink- cold rinse cycle, hot water wash with little detergent with an extra rinse, remove clean inserts from washer and soak in STRONG solution of lemon juice and water, then as many cold rinses as it takes to make them smell like nothing. My washer does 3 rinses on each wash and I choose the extra rinse, too. Once every other week or so keeps them smelling great. I had stink that would not go away. I tried all the other things pp have mentioned but my ds has very strong ammonia smelling urine. HTH!
Suzy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.