Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SIL is at the Riverside hospital at the University of MN, chances are we are going to be down there visiting sometime between tomorrow and Monday. We will for sure have our 2 1/2 year old with and possibly another 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old. I am looking for things to do that would be fun. RIght now I am assuming any activites would just be with our daughter.<br><br>
I averaged out and the cost for us to go to the MN Zoo would be about $50. We went to a Zoo last weekend (Little Falls) and she loved it! However asmission was a whopping $3 total. So I'm having a hard time justifying $50 this time around. Do you think it would be worth it for a 2 year old?<br><br>
I also looked at the Childrens Museum, we have been there before and she liked it but it was really crowded last time we were there. For us to go it would be about $30. Not too bad but how crowded is it during the summer, especially weekends or Friday?<br><br>
Right now I am thinking we are better off hitting Como Zoo and Conservatory which is just a few dollars donation. Are there any other neat attractions close to the U? And which park has the giant spoon and Cherry sculpture? I would love to get some family pics at landmarks and update them in the same spot every few years.<br><br>
Also do I dare ask about the new Nickelodeon park at the MOA? How spendy are the rides? Would a 2 year old have rides to choose from that an adult can go with? I know she wont go by herself.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Ooh, we were just at Nickelodeon Universe a couple weeks ago, I can answer that one. For most of the bigger kiddie rides she'd have to be 39 (or maybe it was 36?) inches tall to ride alone, otherwise she has to have a chaperone, but the chaperone rides for free. There are actually quite a few kiddie rides, and a few that she could go on alone if she wanted (the giant inflatable pineapple bouncy thing and the trucks that just go around on a track, for example). They're are way more rides now than I remember from a few years ago. An all-day wristband is 30 bucks but only 1 person can use it, otherwise you can buy single points or point passes. Our 4-year-old lasted all day on a 50-point pass that he shared with DH a couple times. The rides are all about 3 points each. They've also got carnival games there, and at scheduled times you can get your picture taken with some Nick characters (DH, bless his heart, waiting in line for 15 minutes with 3 small children to get their pictures taken with Spongebob and Patrick).

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I think that might be our best stop this time around. That way we can eat there too and not be driving all over. I know she would love to have her picture taken with charaters. I'm glad there are more rides for younger kids since they redid it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The park with the huge spoon and cherry is the Sculpture Garden at the Walker Art Center. They have all sorts of things going on there in the summertime, typically it's free admission (though you may have to pay to park). There's even artist-designed mini golf!<br><br>
Walker on the Green: Artist-Designed Mini Golf<br>
May 24 - September 7, 2008<br><br>
Open Wednesday–Sunday, 10 am–8 pm (weather permitting). Open Friday, July 4 and Monday, September 1.<br><br>
I don't know how much the golf costs. Here's the website for more info: <a href="http://garden.walkerart.org/index.wac" target="_blank">http://garden.walkerart.org/index.wac</a><br><br>
Hope this helps! ~Holly

·
Registered
365 Posts
the Bell museum is on the UofMn mpls campus, close to the hospital and has a touch and feel room my kids love. It is cheap or free if you are a student. The stone arch bridge, the mill city museum and the Guthrie are all in walking dostance of each other and very close to riverside, almost waking distance, you can also get a good look at the bridge construction on 35W

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just a note about the sculpture garden and Walker this weekend- it is PRIDE!!! Might be a perfect thing for a Sunday family party but just so you know what you are in for. (Gay Pride festivies on Sunday during the day are pretty tame and family focused.)

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, we never made it down but are still hoping to make it their a few times this summer. We were up in the Little Falls area and FWIW it would be a great weekend vacation of things to do. The just redid the zoo and have a park and possibly a waterpark outside as well? We heard people talk about it but never did see it. Also have Charles Lindbergh house and things to see and their is a gorgeous campsite about 10 minutes away in Pierz with golfing and swimming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts