Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping some of you creative moms can recommend some fun party games.<br><br>
We're having a birthday for my daughter this weekend. She's turning 5. There will be about a dozen little 4-6 yr. olds. All I can think of are the usual - pin the tail on the donkey , musical chairs and duck, duck goose games.<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Carol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My daughter, who'll be turning 5, is really into the Disney Princesses. The cake and decorations, etc... are to this theme.<br><br>
Although she doesn't yet know it, she'll be wearing a princess outfit - Sleeping Beauty. I saw the cutest princess outfits at Walmart the other day. Its this beautiful, pink frilly thing and just $19. Its actually better made and cuter than those cheap halloween costumes, yet, about the same price. ( and the Tinkerbelle outfit is sooo adorable, I already bought it for my 3 yr old for Halloween).<br><br>
But the games don't have to follow any theme. I just want to do 3 or so fun games to keep them busy.<br><br>
Carol

·
Registered
543 Posts
My favorite party games...<br><br>
Pass the present--play some music (disney classics would be prefect) and play hot potato with a present wrapped in MANY layers. When the music stops, the holder unwraps a layer. The person who unwraps the last layer is the winner of the present. You could do a nice set of fake jewels for the gift, with necklaces for all of the non-winners.<br><br>
Freeze dance--dance when the music is on, freeze when it's off. Sit down in place if you move at the wrong time. Warn everyone before they start that they must dance in one place, no jumping, etc. You could play this for the entire party, and they will still ask to p-lay again. I don't know why this is so much fun, but every kid I've ever played this with just adores it.<br><br>
Instead of the donkey, you could pin the crown on the princess, or pin the ring on the princess, or the nose ring--whatever floats your boat.<br><br>
The last game is the most ambitious, but the most fun. You can make some Bingo cards (its easier than it sounds). Each card should have 8 items or so. Use stickers or draw: the individual princesses, supporting characters, a crown, flowers, a castle, --about 24 different items. The first girl to fill her card wins (and then you can switch cards!) IF the little ones seem confused, you can play two to a card--again, this is something that all kids seem to love. When I taught in a little non-profit program with no budget, this was something we made for every party. The kids would win a sticker every time they got BINGO. At the end I smothered them all in stickers--they thought it was great!<br><br>
You can also set up a station for necklace making, and crown making. Very fun, and good for early arrivers or late leavers.<br><br>
Have a terrific party!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Last year my dd turned 4 and we had a Sleeping Beauty party. Here are some games we played:<br><br>
1. Princess/Prince and the pea. I lined up three pillows with different colored cases and placed a marble under one. Each kid took a turn sitting on the pillows and guessing which one had the marble underneath. We charted their answers on an easel. I know it sounds goofy and with the chart a bit too contrived, but the kids LOVED it.<br><br>
2. We had an "interactive" story. DD loves to make up her own princess stories. Her favorite one involves several princesses taking a walk in the woods and stumbling on a castle where lo and behold Sleeping Beauty lives. We made a forest with large bulletin board paper (just 2D stuck on the wall with easy release masking tape) on one end of the living room and a pink and purple castle on the other. Pillows were rocks and a large length of cheap blue fabric was a stream. We told the story as the kids kind of played follow the leader and acted out the scenes.<br><br>
3. Musical pillows. Just like musical chairs, but each time a child "loses" it becomes her/his turn to give the birthday girl a present and take a picture with her.<br><br>
4. Treasure hunt for their party favors. Just index cards with pictures hidden sequentially around the house. Birthday girl gets first one with a picture of the gerbil. At the gerbil's cage next kid opens envelope with a picture of the bathtub, etc.<br><br>
5.You might have noticed a pillow theme. Since she is SLEEPING beauty, we had a pillow and pajama theme. Kids were invited to wear pj's. Party favors were a pillowcases and new toothbrushes. Dinner was "pasta pillows" (ravioli). Etc.<br><br>
Hope these suggestions help. We're preparing a "puppy party" this year and I have gotten several good ideas from <a href="http://www.familyfun.com" target="_blank">www.familyfun.com</a><br><br>
Good luck and have a wonderful party!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts