Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please no criticism here. Dh has consented to a trial year of homeschooling. So I am preparing to do Kindergarten with ds. I have done a lot of reading and research and fully understand that it will be 95% learn thru play and everyday activities, but dh needs to see a written plan that includes a curriculum, goals, plan of action for teaching etc. He wants to know exactly what I am going to be teaching ds and what we expect him to know at the end of the year. I do not want to purchase a curriculum for kindergarten but am wondering what resources you have used 1. to decide what to teach that first year and 2. How to teach it. I have started with the Core Knowledge Kindergarten book but don't feel like that is comprehensive enough. Where else can I look for what should be covered in Kindergarten. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
For instance, in my state I'm required to notifiy our county super., then submit a letter of intent along with a hs app and outline. Perhaps if you talk to a "person in charge" it could help alleviate some of dh's critisism or doubt.

I found online our state's model curriculum. The minimum that the state says the public school needs to teach their students. So I print that out, and base my outline on that. It is in depth, long, and looks professional. Even if I don't neccasarily (sp?) follow through on every detail, it is a great starting point.

Good Luck on your first year!

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
I would definately check out my states requirements, because in some states K isn't even required.

I would also suggest your dh read any book writen by John Holt, sounds like he has some homework to do himself.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't think about my state requirements - thanks. We are in the process of moving to Washington and school is not compulsory there until age 8. State laws really have nothing to do with it at this point. My ds wants to learn to read, loves to learn new things and I want to take advantage of his natural desire to learn.

NadiaSJ - that is the book I was talking about, I have already read it and it is a good start, just wanted some other idea.

Arduianna- Funny you should say because on top of a big stack of homeschooling books that is right here on the computer desk is "How Children Learn" I haven't read it yet, but it is next on my list.

Thanks for your ideas everybody

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
There is a great book called Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool to High School by Rebecca Rupp. The book is very comprehensive and also includes tons of resources for each subject area. DH might be swayed by the scope of this book, as well as the fact that it not only tells you what you *should* be teaching, it also gives you resources (books, games, software, etc.).

I noticed your location listed as CT. We are in CT too and there are no mandatory guidelines - it is completely voluntary for you to submit a notice of intent. However, if you do submit one, then you are subject to a portfolio review at the end of the school year (for each year you submit a Notice of Intent for) in which you must show that your child has made progress in each of the subjest area that are taught in school (math, language arts, science, social studies, etc.).

The mandatory school age is CT is now 5 (it used to be 7, but was changed). There are state guidelines (only guidelines, like I said, filing the NOtice of Intent is optional) at this site -
http://www.cthomeschoolnetwork.org/stateguidelines.htm

The Ct Homeschool Network would be a great place to get started if you are just moving here.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
my DS is going to private K, and the work is very very simple. (he goes to 1st grade 1/2 the day) ANYHOW..... Before we sent him to school, I called several schools and asked to see the curriculum. i am sure if you called the local schools they would send you the written curriculum they follow. You could use that as a guideline and to show Dh you are on track with the kids who go to school outside the home. That's what I did last year since Ds missed the stupid age cut off.
Ds' K class is doing very very simple phonics (letter sounds, no blends or anything), capitol and lower case letter recognition and writing, colors, numbers up to 20, simple intro to math concepts (shapes, matching, grouping like objects, number recognition). They are also doing cutting with scissors, learning prayers and hymns, coloring in the lines, and pasteing. They have science (again, very simple like talking about the seasons or how ice comes from water), library, computers, gym (with games like tag), and art once a week.
I hope this helps...altho I am not currently homeschooling (unless you count the preschool stuff I am doing with DD). I found it helpful to know what the school system was doing when i was thinking of h.s. to be sure we were not falling behind (altho in my experience most hs kids are way ahead, it made me feel much more confident). I asked everyone what their kids were doing in prek/k. When I called the schools they were very helpful and happy to send me the info not only for the curriculum, but also the type of standardized tests they used (which i looked up online). Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mom2kbeth_ we are actually moving out of CT in about 6 weeks. But thank you for all the helpful CT references. I will check out Rebecca Rupps book. I am finding designing my own curriculum challenging but I think it is definately the way to go with ds. He is not quite 4 and blending phonics to make 3 letter words. He loves to measure and sort stuff. He is way beyond most preschool level work. And I think will move fairly quickly thru the kindergarten level stuff when we get started on it. What I am finding challenging is trying to decide what order to do things in and how much time to allot to do them (I plan on being flexible per ds as we get into the actual schooling) But I still feel like I need a jumping off place. Some sort of basic plan to get started.

serenetabbie - thanks for the idea of actually contacting the schools. I am finding a ton of curriculum info on the internet. Many school districts post their curriculums. Now I just need ideas for how to go about teaching the concepts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
another book for your pile:

Discover your child's learning style : by Mariaemma Willis

It might give you some ideas on the how to teach the subects stuff.

And if he's already starting to read at 4 you probably are already teaching him everything he needs to know, and you just need to keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
All of my boys attend Montessori and I will be homeschooling them for 7th and 8th grade if the school doesn't offer them by the time they are in those grades.

i found a link regarding homeschooling Montessori style, and I can't say enough how much I love this curriculum, esp for the little ones, you might want to check it out.

http://montessori_teacher.tripod.com...omeschool.html

·
Registered
433 Posts
Monica, I wish I hadn't bought a curriculum. It was a waste. I have recently read quite a bit in a book called "The Well Trained Mind" From that you can kind of figure out what your kindergarteners goals should be.

It is really not a lot of stuff but take quite a bit of time to get to it.

One of the things she suggested was the "Bob books" for reading. I was able to barrow the series from the library.

I took an old note book and just kind of journal my way through kindergarten. If my dh want to read it that is fine. If I think of something I want to work on tomarrow to I make myself notes in the margin or what ever.

I made binders and put anything ds does in the binder with the date on it so it is a record of what we have worked on when.

My dh was a little scepticle that we could succeed at the homeschooling but now is very supportive. Encouraging me on the tough days.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Our library has a large section of beginning reader books there. My dd is 4 and can read a few words and we're doing those early readers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.