Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be spending 2.5 weeks visiting my ILs in Scotland this summer and I need ideas on what to feed DD when we're there. Here is the situation, MIL hates to cook and when she does it's strictly meat and potatoes. We are mostly vegetarians (do eat fish) but DD won't eat any meat at all (even fish but will eat tofu). MIL has a very small kitchen and not much in the way of pots, pans etc. (no wok for example) and no spices outside of salt and pepper. We were there last summer and we mostly "cooked" for ourselves -- DD basically survived on cheese pizza, pasta and eggs but we were only there for a week. DH and I ate a lot of frozen dinners, which are really quite good (mostly Indian) but they're too spicey for DD. We can't go out to eat because they live pretty far away from any restaurants and it's really expensive (exchange rate for Canadians is terrible).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
How old is your DD? I know a lot of 2-3 year olds live on pizza, pasta and eggs all the time, so I don't think that would totally be the end of the world for 2 weeks or so...I'd also take a few "essential" spices with me if that would help - maybe rosemary, basil, etc.? Can you do a shopping trip when you get there to pick up a few things?

You don't need a wok to stir-fry - if she has a large shallow pan, it does the job acceptably well. Also, you may want to buy a small steamer insert and take it - something that fits over the top of a saucepan, and you can then make veggies in that.

Some other ideas:
could she make sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes?
Take the baked potato she makes, and load it with yummies like steamed broccoli, plain yogurt, cheese
Grilled cheese sandwiches
Whole-wheat pitas dipped in hummus, or filled with veggies.
Mix other things into the plain pasta (tomato sauce, veggies & butter) or put on the pizza
Cereal with milk & fruit
Yogurts
Fruit smoothies (does she have a blender?)
Fruit bars (My DS loves the whole-foods ones...)

Oh, and my DS likes mildly spicy things - maybe a tandoori dish would be okay for DD?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Is there a good greengrocer near your ILs? The big thing that folks made for me in England was cauliflower cheese. I know, England isn't Scotland! But if you could get some of those delicious cauliflowers and their good cheese, you and your dc would be very happy. Also you could make mashed potatoes with broccoli or spinach mixed in. Or omlettes with same.

Don't they also eat a lot of oatmeal in Scotland? That's a yummy thing.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
We traveled to an isolated area that had lots of fruits and vegetables, so most of our problems were taken care of. But I brought along some of Dd's favorites for heavier meals: pasta, jars of almond butter, both raw and roasted, oatmeal (she likes oatmeal with raw almond butter mixed in - I started doing this instead of soymilk because it's easier to travel that way). I brought a jar of cocount oil for cooking but could have brought organic ghee; neither one needs refrigeration. She also likes brewer's yeast and nuts. We had some really good stir fries. I got whole wheat flour and baked bread. I brought my own yeast because I was warned you had to buy it bulk where we were going. I got organic raw milk and could have made yogurt if I'd had a better temperature controlled place to put it - instead I ended up making ricotta-like cheese by accident, and using the really failed yogurt (ie sour milk) in the bread.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
When we travel, I bring along a lot of dried fruits and veggies for my daughter to eat when I can't control the foods available. It isn't perfect solution to providing fruits and vegetables but it helps a little.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
It might be easier to take good snacks along, than ingrediants for big meals. If she has some nuts and raisins before dinner, a few bites of potato or some mac and cheese doesn't seem that insubstancial. Whole wheat crackers or those Gerber "Veggie Puffs" might be fun finger foods too. I am sure you will find something. I had more ideas, but they've already been mentioned

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. It helps to know that she can subsit on a few items--at least for a while. I'm just used to cooking and personally I feel icky if I have to eat out too much or can't make our regular meals but I also have trouble with having to cook in a strange kitchen--not knowing where things are, having to ask about everything, etc.. As my DH would say, it's just a big "pallaver".

DD loves oatmeal but I'm not sure if she'll like the kind over there (FIL eats his oatmeal with salt, I don't think DD would go for that) so we may take some along. I'm already planning to buy a coffee maker when we get there -- I cannot do without a good cup in the morning--so we may invest in a few other items. Maybe I can introduce MIL to a few exotic spices!

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
you can just take the oatmeal and sweeten it up with something...the Scots like the salty oatmeal but if you throw brown sugar in it it's the same old thing...

I am going on a vacation to my mothers and I will have to bring my own food...mom panics about what to feed me when I am home so I just bring my own...my hubby and older girls eat meat, me and baby are vegetarian...it makes things very complicated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts