Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be spending 2.5 weeks visiting my ILs in Scotland this summer and I need ideas on what to feed DD when we're there. Here is the situation, MIL hates to cook and when she does it's strictly meat and potatoes. We are mostly vegetarians (do eat fish) but DD won't eat any meat at all (even fish but will eat tofu). MIL has a very small kitchen and not much in the way of pots, pans etc. (no wok for example) and no spices outside of salt and pepper. We were there last summer and we mostly "cooked" for ourselves -- DD basically survived on cheese pizza, pasta and eggs but we were only there for a week. DH and I ate a lot of frozen dinners, which are really quite good (mostly Indian) but they're too spicey for DD. We can't go out to eat because they live pretty far away from any restaurants and it's really expensive (exchange rate for Canadians is terrible).

Any ideas?

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions. It helps to know that she can subsit on a few items--at least for a while. I'm just used to cooking and personally I feel icky if I have to eat out too much or can't make our regular meals but I also have trouble with having to cook in a strange kitchen--not knowing where things are, having to ask about everything, etc.. As my DH would say, it's just a big "pallaver".

DD loves oatmeal but I'm not sure if she'll like the kind over there (FIL eats his oatmeal with salt, I don't think DD would go for that) so we may take some along. I'm already planning to buy a coffee maker when we get there -- I cannot do without a good cup in the morning--so we may invest in a few other items. Maybe I can introduce MIL to a few exotic spices!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.