Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I have lived in STL for the past 5 years but do not have a close knit group of friends here with any children. Hence, this post.<br><br>
We are expecting our first baby this September and I need to get on the ball and get information from you wise natural minded STL moms re: the facts.<br><br>
For background: We live in the city and are planning a homebirth. However, we are willing to travel a reasonable distance for resources.<br><br>
So,<br>
*Who would you recommend as a physician for the baby? We would like someone who will work with us on selective/delayed vaxing.<br>
*Are there any great mom's groups (AP, not specifically religious)?<br><br>
Any suggestions would be so incredibly helpful. Despite living here for so long, I feel like I am venturing totally uncharted territory (which we kind of are.) Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is an Attachment Parenting International group in St. Louis. Here's a website: <a href="http://apstlouis.zoomshare.com/" target="_blank">http://apstlouis.zoomshare.com/</a> . They have a Yahoo group, which you can find a link to on that site. I don't think the group is extremely active, but I believe they have meetings/potlucks about once a month. I don't know, I signed up for the group for a while but never actually got involved with them.<br><br>
There are also La Leche League groups, and I'm sure there are more that I don't know about.<br><br>
A new birth center is opening in St. Charles this summer and will be staffed by midwives. <a href="http://www.mybirthandwellness.com/" target="_blank">http://www.mybirthandwellness.com/</a> I know you said you're planning a home birth, but maybe this place could help with doctor recommendations. Plus I just had to share in case you didn't know, because it will be the first birth center for many many miles around here, and I'm super excited about it!<br><br><br>
I like our pediatrician, Dr. Rana in Maryville, IL. I think he may also spend some time in a clinic in Granite City... not sure about that, but it might be closer to you. He is flexible about vaxing and has never said a negative word to us about how we parent our daughter. That being said, we don't exactly advertise our non-mainstream choices w/o being asked about them, either. I tend to only go there for real medical issues or checkups and not ask parenting questions, because I do that research on my own. He isn't really in favor of selective vaxing, but will state his opinion then let you make the decisions. My daughter jumped around on the growth charts a pretty decent amount when she was younger, and he never showed concern or questioned our breastfeeding b/c she looked healthy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info sunyata. I have heard about the birthcenter and think its pretty awesome for St. Louis to be getting one. I will probably ask my mw for recs on docs as she has small kids of her own.<br><br>
I am with you on the not advertising non-mainstream parenting choices and do feel that getting parenting advice from a doctor is not really their purpose. I am not big on going to doctors at all, so I can see us using the ped/FP doc/whatever for actual health concerns only.<br><br>
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations!<br><br>
La Leche Leauge is a great place to start. I went to a couple of meetings before my baby was born and it was SO helpful and I think it made a HUGE difference in my BFing success. (Still going at almost 2 years) You don't have to start a membership until you are ready or want to. They welcome new moms and mom-to-be's.<br><br>
In STL, you might look into Dr. Wessling's office. Also, Dr. Ayers.<br>
I have heard these names from friends/aquantainces.<br><br>
I don't have rec's on a home birth, but you may look into having a doula. Search STL doula page and there is a list of doulas. The doulas could also help guide you towards an OB/pedi who would be more open to the birth/care<br>
that you want.<br><br>
My last suggestion is the Nursing Mother's Meetings at Kangaroo Kids. KK is in Kirkwood. It's a breastfeedig support store plus kids' resale shop. They have weekly meetings (day and evening) for nursing moms. That is a great place to get started with your newborn and you can also go as a pregnant mommy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts