Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contacted by a woman that is expecting twins. She wants a lot of information on breastfeeding twins. She wants to tandem feed but isn't too confident about doing so. Any books you all would recommend? Any good websites? I have LLL, Sears, the required and recommended books from my CAPPA training I can lend her, but are there any others you have found useful???? TIA

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Check out the mothering multiples forum, I bet they'd have some great recommendations there! And, when you mentioned LLL, did you mean a group/Leader specifically, or the book, "Breastfeeding & Caring for Twins...Mothering Multiples" by Karen Gromada? 'Cause that's a fabulous resource, according to my next door neighbor, who tandem nursed her twins till they weaned themselves.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for sharing. I posted under the "Parenting Multiples." I looked for something like that on here and must have glazed right over it! I was talking about the LLL book - sorry I didn't specify. You guys have been such a great help.

For those of you who are doulas/CBEs/MWs any advice on working with parents of multiples?

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
do a lot of reading. Know your stuff. Contact area and online support groups to have that info on hand even now, to prepare them. Make sure they have FABULOUS post partum support. This includes going to LLL meetings to have a leader who's willing to help outside the meeting if need be. Also includes a schedule of family/friends who are willing to take shifts helping around the house, being an extra set of hands, etc...people (I often suggest a church women's group...) to bring meals a few times a week. All I can think of off the cuff, but I'm sure there's more...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes establishing the brigade of outside help after the babes arrive is important for all aspects of parenting twins, and breastfeeding support.

Jack Newmann's "Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers" talks about twins and it is easy to flip to the sections you need, love that book. Makes a nice shower gift!
good luck to the mama

·
Registered
540 Posts
As a mom of twins, I can say that the labor was exactly the same as with my singleton -- although my twins were only born 10 minutes apart. I've heard of some women birthing their twins hours apart and obvs that would take more support. Post-partum support would be KEY. It's insane with newborn twins, from what I remember
: I'm glad mine are a little older now.

·
Registered
971 Posts
my twins are three now so memories have dulled a bit but honestly i dont remember it being horribly tough. it was hard work but so is a singleton. I tandam nursed but prefered to nurse them separately. they werent extremely long nursers so total time nursing them separately was maybe 30 minutes to 45 minutes, some singletons nurse that long! really i would tell her not to say she is going to do it any one way. learn all the different positions and ways of nursing twins and then when they come try them all and do what works best. i nursed them differently throughout the day. sometimes they were both awake and hungry at the same time so i would feed them together and other times only one was awake and so i would end up feeding them separately. i dont believe in waking up a sleeping baby or putting them on schedules, that just wouldnt have worked for me. i can see twins being harder if they are your first children but i had already had one so it didnt feel all that different.

for the first two months i had my parents very close helping out daily because my husband was deployed and that was extremely helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts