Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My dc's have been going to a private school. The oldest has been there 3 years, the youngest started kindy this year. It's a fine school. It's strength is that it's small and the kids get a lot of attention. The education is equal to pub school (imo), and they are pretty bare bones as far as extracurriculars.  It's also a 35 minute drive one-way. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>My oldest started at our local public school in kindy and had a great experience. First grade was not so good. The teacher rubbed me the wrong way from the beginning. Very controlling of her class, not wanting parent involvement. We also found out that she moved our ds to a seat away from everyone because he was chatty. We were never told this. My dh found out when he went to withdraw him from school. . . we had decided at that point to homeschool. We homeschooled for one year before finding this private school.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, now we're considering coming back to the local public school.  We feel like our kids are suffering by not being part of their immediate community and also by the fact that they don't get to do many extra curriculars. The private school only goes through 8th grade, so we don't want our kids to be friendless when they go to the local high school.  BTW, the local junior high has A LOT of extra activities and can't even compare to the private school.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not sure what to do. Would it be weird to make an appt. with the local principal and talk to him about our concerns (I've met him before; he's a really nice guy and the kids like him a lot)?  I don't want to be "that parent," but I'm just not willing to have the same situation as before, a controlling teacher who doesn't like parent helpers and who doesn't communicate important information to parents about their children.  I also don't want that teacher assigned to my kids ever again, and my younger dd will be in her grade next year. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The thing is, my kids are so loved at their current private school. They are thriving and have been "star students" multiple times. I have not doubt they'll continue to be good students at another school, but I'm just so conflicted. I feel like I have a lot less input at the public school. . .  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for reading! I know this is long. Any thoughts you can share about *anything* would be appreciated!</p>

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
<p>I have had where I pulled my children after having troubles, then returned them, and found it even worse the second time around and had to repull them out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If the principal did nothing to help and already had at least one teacher like that, and it is the same one, chances are, it will be just as bad. If you want to try anyway, go ahead. But otherwise, I would stay with the private school.</p>

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>If the school only goes to 8th grade, where does everyone else go?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is their likely high school large or small?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In my hometown the two high schools were fed by several middle schools, so there was no guarantee that you'd even have one class with anyone you went to school with before.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You could also just do elementary at the private school and public for Jr. High.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts