Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have a friend who is so in love with her OB she isn't thinking for herself. She's 35 weeks and per u/s, baby is estimated to be 7.5 lbs. I know this is a load of poop. So why can't I find a link to a reputable study saying so? Can you help me?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't know of a study, but I can tell you that I had an US 2 days before DS was born specifically to see how big he was because my family has a history of large babies and I was measuring big. They estimated 8lbs. Actual weight, 9lbs 10oz. Not even close!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I don't know of any studies, either... I'm replying in part because I want to be subscribed and see what gets posted.<br><br>
My 2nd one was also thought to be smaller than he was (thought to be ~8 lbs., turned out to be 9 lbs 4 oz). But I can't rememeber if that was from an estimate during a NST u/s or if it was a SWAG.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>WinterBaby</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I can't help with any studies either. But what if the baby IS 7.5lbs? It could be. Why does it matter? )</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Dr. will push for c/s, early induction, etc. if baby approaches estimated 9-10 lbs. closer to her due date of 11/14. I'd like to be able to point out that the baby could also be 5.5 lbs. right now and that late term u/s is notriously inaccurate. Basically, I'd like to help her avoid induction or c/s (although she'd probably jump off a bridge if her dr. told her to so its questionable why I'm even bothering).

·
Registered
874 Posts
You might also find more information to approach her with in the way of complications of induction and the rarity of true CPD. Women give birth naturally to big babies all the time. I'm a great fan of big babies as newborns - they most often feed better, sleep better, have more reserves, and just seem more fully cooked, lol. I think there was a good big babies thread here just a couple months ago =)

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I had a u/s done at 35 weeks 5 days and my daughter was measuring 8 lbs 11 oz. She was born 2 weeks later weighing 10 lbs 3 oz... so... it's possible.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't doubt that its possible. But my ds was estimated to be 8.5 lbs. one week before he was actually born -- at 6lbs. 15oz.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
my oldest was estimated to be 8.5 lbs the day before she was born, weighing a whopping 5lb, 6oz!!<br><br>
a quick <a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ultrasound%2C+weight%2C+estimate%2C+accuracy&btnG=Google+Search" target="_blank">google</a> turned up this article<br><a href="http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/ac_historical.html" target="_blank">http://www.ob-ultrasound.net/ac_historical.html</a><br><br><br>
I found 81 studies just now by searching <a href="http://www.pubmed.com" target="_blank">www.pubmed.com</a> for "ultrasound, weight, estimate, accuracy"<br><br><br><a href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12375539&query_hl=1" target="_blank">this one</a> looks interesting (I did not read more than just the abstract)<br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">A significantly higher percentage of predictions were within 10% of the birth weight when obtained by sonographers (70%) than physicians (54%; p < 0.0001).</td>
</tr></table></div>
So is that to say that 54% of the physicians were not within 10% of the actual birth weight?!?? That's not very accurate, is it?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
No article, but I can tell you based on experience that u/s are not an accurate way to determine size of a baby. They 'guess' the weight based on the length of the femur and the size of the head, but it can be a couple pounds off either way.<br><br>
My second was supposedly almost 10lbs according to u/s 2 weeks before I had him, however, he was 8lbs 4oz at birth.<br><br>
My third was supposedly barely 5lbs five days before he was born weighing 7lbs 8oz.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Not a research study in particular, but I'd recommend she page through Henci Goer's "Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". Your library may have a copy, or heck go take a peek through it at the bookstore if she doesn't want to buy it. It has very compelling discussions around ultrasound (particularly this late in the pregnancy) and how crazily INaccurate it is in predicting birth weight.<br><br>
This said, if she has "OB love", be prepared that no matter your good efforts and intentions, she may just follow her/his lead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts