Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this goes here. Not really a nutrition question...I want to mail some cookies to my DH overseas, and it's been a long time since I did this. Anyone have tips on particular types of cookies that travel well, ways to keep them fresh, etc. I remember something about putting a piece of bread in with the cookies, but can't remember why. I'd love to send chocolate chip (his favorite), but I'm thinking the chocolate wouldn't travel well this time of year.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes, putting a slice of bread will help keep the cookies moist. When choosing a type of cookie/treat to send ask yourself if you shook it up in the box, would it crumble or stay intact? Will the item be able to withstand extreme tempratures? (could be sitting in a hot mail truck for a long while). I think its best to go with a sturdy cookie. I also heard somewhere about a woman who was sendign cookies to the service men and women in Iraq, and she underbaked them by 1 or 2 min. so they would not get hard real quick.

My grandma would always send us fudge, wrapped in a ziplock baggie and put in a tin the same shape as the fudge. That way if the fudge did melt, it wouldnt leak (because of the ziplock bag) and would retain its shape (or the shape of the tim) once put in the fridge at its destination.

I think choc. chip would be a good choice. Whatever you choose, even if it is crumbled/melted/stale-ish, I'm sure he will be glad to have it in whatever condition it is in!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have heard that using an empty pringles can to stack the cookies helps prevent them from crumbling before they reach their destination. Choc. chip cookies should ship just fine, it is much easier to send them, than say a chocolate candy bar.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Not that I'm advocating this product or anything...
but the Press-N-Seal wrap works well for mailing cookies. Pull out a big sheet of it, line the cookies up, and put another sheet of the wrap on top and then, well, press and seal it.
To help cushion the cookies, you can use popped popcorn (instead of, say, styrofoam peanuts). But ITA that the cookies will be well-loved and gobbled down no matter what condition they're in.

Oh, here's a thought: why not make chocolate chip bar cookies? Then you could just stuff 'em all in a ziplock baggie and they'd be square to fit in the box, with some newspaper padding.

HTH!
~Nick

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I used to be in the Navy and get these types of packages. Although not the greatest for the environment, baked goods are best wrapped in plastic individually. Don't put bread in there because it will take a couple of weeks for your package to reach its destination and the bread will be moldy. Don't send anything like fudge or chocolate bars because it will melt but anything with chocolate chips in it should keep well. If I may make a suggestion of something to send other than baked goods. If your dh has access to a bowl and a microwave send him some of the Easy Mac (store brand is fine). My mom used to send it to me when I was deployed and it was so nice to have something tasty to eat besides sweets.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I've always heard to take two cookies, and put them bottom to bottom and wrap them. I have no idea why, it is just something that stuck in my head for some reason.
But, really, I think you could send it any way and it would be appreciated. I once received a big box of those Russel Stover chocolates while in an HOT African country. They melted into one giant chocolate blob (still had the sealwrap on it so no leaks) but it was the greatest!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trishshack
I used to be in the Navy and get these types of packages. Although not the greatest for the environment, baked goods are best wrapped in plastic individually. Don't put bread in there because it will take a couple of weeks for your package to reach its destination and the bread will be moldy. Don't send anything like fudge or chocolate bars because it will melt but anything with chocolate chips in it should keep well.
I agree with the individual wrapping, or as another poster suggested, wrapping 2 cookies together, bottom to bottom. I'd go so far as to also put them in a ziploc or similar baggie. I often pack my cookies with tissue paper into a shirt box, and then put that box into a much larger box stuffed with packing peanuts, popcorn (although may encourage rodent/bug activity if traveling far), shredded newspaper/magazines (great way to get rid of catalogs). You actually want to have to apply pressure to get the box closed b/c the contents will settle. I've also heard of people wrapping the inner box in plastic wrap as an extra layer of sealing.

I'd also wrap the cookies up as soon as they are cool enough to handle for optimum freshness.

Chocolate chip cookies usually ship well, as do most drop cookies varieties (oatmeal raisin, chocolate chocolate chip, even ginger snaps, if undercooked). Maybe send a variety (but wrap separately or odors will cross contaminate).

Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts