Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok let me start be saying I am completely clueless to cd, my DD is 14 weeks old we had every intention to cd this one our first wasnt anyhow when she arrived we didnt it just seemed easier to uses sposies so we did. I purchased a bunch of prefolds and 4 diaper covers and we since then sold the covers and use the prefolds which wouldnt fit her now anyhow as burp rags and she has reflux bad so let me say they have been major clothes savers, furniture savers etc .

Anyhow I have been wanting to try again but what has really motivated me to do so, is that my DD has tortocollis which has affected her hips as well and the ped think swe may need to put a brace/cast on her (we wont know until we see ortho) but suggested trying to use two sposies for now to help widen her legs. Well my Dh and myself looked at each other and thought why do that why not just go back to cd and that will giver her the bulk she needs there not too mention better for her tush anyways.

So I have three AIO that I have been using and only three inserts, so I have been ofcourse using the the diapers for three changes but then i have to switch back to sposies with putting the diaper over the sposies.

Now can you recommend a diapering system that would be easy for a newbie and not too expensive for us to keep up also keep in mind that we do require some amount of bulk between her legs for the hip issues. thank you!!!!!!!!

Oh also tell me about wool I just think those covers and the long pants are too too cute how do they work as covers?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm pretty new to CDing, too...well, sort of. We started out with great intentions like you, and tried a million different types, until we found motherease one size. They are simple to use, easy to care for, and really affordable (about $300 for a complete set-up that will last until your kiddo is out of diapers, and you only need to buy covers as they grow.) You can order a single diaper, liner and cover for $20 including shipping, to see if you like them, which is what we did. I fell in love and ordered the complete package. If you're looking for a simple set-up, they're perfect. www.mother-ease.com

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
More people prefer fitteds rather than pockets; however, the people who love pockets REALLY love them.

We used Bummis Super Whisper Wraps over Kissaluvs. If what you need is bulk, a wool cover would be good, like maybe an Aristocrats cover.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more questions,I am totally lovingthe kissaluvs!
How many will I need I see they have package deals for 6 $65
this will be the only dipes we will be using so what would be a good amount and how many covers, can I still buy DD clothes in her regular size do I need to go up a size? How long will they last?
How do I wash them and in what?
Is it hard when you are out cd'ing I mean?

I feel like such a dork I am getting excited about getting rid of these sposies, they have a really weird scent to them worse then whe I used them three years ago.

Please if there is anything else you can think to add please do I really want to know as much as I can.

Anyone have any favorites site I should purchase them from?
thanks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
It depends on how often your baby pees and how often you want to wash. The usual recommendation is 36 diapers and 4 covers, but like I said, it can really vary depending on your individual situation. Just wash them on hot with a small amount of detergent and an extra rinse, and dry them on hot or line dry.

I've never used disposables so I can't compare between them and cloth on how hard they are to use when out or how much you have to size up in clothing. But, the fact that I've never used disposables (my daughter is almost 2) should be a testimonial for the fact that it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamamoogs View Post
more questions,I am totally lovingthe kissaluvs!
How many will I need I see they have package deals for 6 $65
this will be the only dipes we will be using so what would be a good amount and how many covers, can I still buy DD clothes in her regular size do I need to go up a size? How long will they last?
How do I wash them and in what?
Is it hard when you are out cd'ing I mean?

I feel like such a dork I am getting excited about getting rid of these sposies, they have a really weird scent to them worse then whe I used them three years ago.

Please if there is anything else you can think to add please do I really want to know as much as I can.

Anyone have any favorites site I should purchase them from?
thanks!!!!!!!

how many: *i* wash daily, i don't like having dipes sitting around the house, i know a weird quark...but for an infant i had 18 and they lasted for 1.5 days, just in case i didn't want to do the wash that day
i just got used to doing the wash after supper
for two days 24 would be PLENTY *imo* and i did diaper two from birth
if you would like to go a bit cheaper i'd go for the 18 or so and get a couple prefolds as an emergency just in case you run out

clothing: we size up one size or so, but i've found that the infant clothing (up to 12mo) are really roomy and i didn't need to start to size up until they got to about 1yo or so, and even then i didn't really size up much, i went from onesies to t-shirts and overalls

how long do they last: they lasted through two so far w/me and they are still kickin! just follow the washing instructions they come with and you will be good to go

how do i wash them and in what: www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com has an AWESOME section on this including a chart of detergents and which are best for cloth diapers (click on 'diapering basics' and then 'washing diapers'

is it hard while your out?: nope, not any harder than a sposie
just make sure you get a little wet bag in your diaperbag for the dirties
its fun when ppl ask you not to throw the sposie away in the trash and you can say 'oh we cloth diaper'

as far as the best cover for them the kissaluvs website has a chart that tells you the covers and how they fit over each size

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just want to say that my baby had hip dysplasia and had to wear a harness to keep her legs apart and out. I was going to CD anyway, but like you, I was happy to have that extra reason to do it!

I agree that Kissaluvs are a good bet; so are Mother-ease Sandy's fitteds, Under the Nile organic fitteds, or prefolds, which are also nice and cheap. Top any one of these with a thick wool cover and you have yourself a nice bulky system. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.