Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked a question about canola oil earlier and got the response that butter and olive oil were better types of oil. I relayed that to my brother and sister who are both willing to listen. But my brother doesn't believe me because we have all heard so long about how bad butter is for you. Can someone give me a link showing the virtues of butter? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Not all butter is better. Organic butter made from free grazing dairy cows is the better butter to use. Organic free grazing cows get most of their nutrition from the grasses which are loaded in omega-3 fats, thus their milk fat produces a more omega balanced fat which is better for you. Non organic butter is higher in omega-6 fatty acids which are overconsumed and cause most of the health problems. However, butter is still a saturated fat and should not be overconsumed. We need saturated fats, but in moderation. 20% of olive oil turns into a saturated fat when consumed. It's a better choice fat, but again it still should not be overconsumed.

Both fats are a natural fat which is always a better choice than a man-made over processed fat. You should look for a first pressed olive oil which means less processing and better for you. Your body digests natural foods better than processed foods. Natural is always a better choice.

I have no links, just a wealth of information stuffed into my head from all the research I have done in the last year.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks cjr.

Right back at you. That is a sobering thought. I have always avoided margarine like the plague. Even before I knew anything about good eating, margarine always seemed so fake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.