Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo Hoo...another name thread...

Okay...I don't normally post name threads here but I need some feedback. I was browsing name sites today as I usually seem to be doing and have finally found "THE" name...

DH and I are pretty set for with a girls name (either Jade Ariadne or Ariadne Jade) but our boy choice was bugging me...Lucius...like it but don't love it. (We find out next week what we are having but DH and I both are feeling boy on this one)

Then I found THE name....Alden. I am completely smitten with this name and as soon as I saw it I was like "That's it, that is the one."

First the meaning...it is from an English given name meaning old friend...which is just feels perfect. It is also Astronaut Neil Armstrong's middle name and since I have loved all things space related since I was little...it makes the name even that much more special to me.

Now, my biggest fear is that DH is going to hate it (it took him 2 years to realize that he really likes Ariadne...
)...
so I was just hoping to get feedback on the name in general and also if any of you have been in a situation where you knew you had the perfect name but your partner was less than enthusiastic about it. Thanks for the help.

~Aurora

FYI...DD's name is Kaira (pronounced Kie rah...long "I" rhymes with pie, sky, etc)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I love the name Alden. I was actually considering it for a girl (I know, I know), but it sounded a bit too masculine. I went to high school with a girl named Alden, though. I think it's a great name and especially good for a boy.

Just suggest the name to your dh and tell him why you like it so much. I am a believer in seeing the baby before completely deciding on a name, though. Dh and I both needed to see our babies' faces before we knew which of the names we were considering was right for them.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I love Alden.

Not crazy about the Ariadne for a first name. Something about it reminds me of Arachne from the myths. You know, the weaver spider goddess. I think it would make a nice middle name.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I know an Alden, it's a nice name. And yes, DD1 was a name where I was positive that was her name, only DH didn't agree. We somewhat compromised and then years later she decided that her true name was the version I had wanted and she changed her name.
I guess I was right. With DD2, she was nameless when she was 3 days old and I just announced her name, I think DH was just so thrilled to have something to call her that he agreed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool...thanks for all the help...
Something about this name just feels right though...so we shall see.

I showed it to DH yesterday and he seems to be okay with it. At least I didn't get the "absolutely not" response. So now, just a waiting game to see what the little one looks like.

I know all about having a name in mind only to find it doesn't fit when bub is born...
DD was going to be a Mia, Maia or Kira...Kaira wasn't even on our list (though I thought she looked like a Kaia and still tend to call her that....
)

Thanks again....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I wanted Gideon for a boy. DH and I agreed on it years ago and he changed his mind once we were pregnant because all of his co-workers said they didn't like it
. Like they would have said that once the baby was here! I mean, there was a lady there who wanted to name her son Jack Daniels, give me a break!

In the end tho, we didn't need it...we're having a girl

·
Registered
648 Posts
Dangit! That's my top choice for a boy, so much for being the only one considering it

There's a bit of a tradition in my family for a boy in each generation to have the nickname "Al". Of course, this baby could very well not be an Alden when they're born

I think it would be great for a girl name as well. Any names I think up have to pass DH's gender bias, so I don't see that ever happening for us.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I totally vote for Ariadne as the first name. Jade was a middle name choice for my DD at one point, until the good women on big bad baby names talked some sense into me about how Jade is a stripper name. I'd go with Jane over Jade any day.

I like Alden a lot. My only concern is that people might mistake the L for an I because Aiden is so mega popular right now.

XOXO
B

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again for the replies. DH actually seems to be really warming up to the name (he also said he likes Aiden too..
until I mentioned popularity) So it looks like this one is going to make it to the short list!! Woo hoo!! Just feels right...
I know on paper Alden will probably be mistaken for Aiden, but spoken I think it is different enough that it will stand out. But I can't see it being any worse than say Bryan vs Ryan, etc. DD Kaira is always being called Cara when they see her name written out so we are used to it.

As for Ariadne...pronunciation...ah-ree-AHD-ne or air-ee-AD-nee (one is Greek the other English prn.) We are using the second pronunciation. Ariadne is the one who helped Theseus escape the Labyrinth and the Minotaur, but was later abandoned by him. She then went on to marry the God Dionysus. Love the name and always had a special connection to it.

DH likes Jade because to him it has an Asian feel to it (since he is half Japanese) without being obvious about it like most Japanese names...so it doesn't really feel stripperish to us, more exotic if anything. We shall see though when bub is born...

What can I say, I am a name addict...
Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.