Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas. The doctor who I interviewed and trust not to go crazy with antibiotics is on maternity leave. The dr who looked at my sick kid today said his ear canal is red and prescribed antibiotics. I have no idea what kind of tendencies this doctor has, so I can't trust her at all and I really need a second opion, quick. Does anyone have any good Anti-AB, Portland (preferrably SE) Dr. reccs? Please oh please?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
we see dr. melanie brown for ear infections. she's a chiropractor but she has an otoscope and can see if you need antibiotics or not. we never do after seeing her, though, she always clears them right up.

i will PM you her number. she is in SE off of hawthorne.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
maybeknott, do you normally see Dr. Pritchard with OHSU Sellwood (now SW Waterfront)? I only ask because we scheduled DS's 2 yr well child visit and found out she's out on "leave".... I'm hoping her replacement isn't med-happy...

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
No need to see another Dr., you already know your baby has an ear infection, simply follow the natural protocol and it should clear up very soon;

Ear Drops. We like the ones from Wild Oats, they have St. John's
Wort Flowers, Mullien Flowers, Arnica Montsna Flowers, Coptis Root,
and Garlic, but my grandmother simply used olive oil - warm the oil
to body temperature (we fill the dropper and place it in a half glass
of very warm water for a few minutes). Have the child lie on one
side, and put one to three drops into the ear. Be careful not to let
the dropper itself touch the ear. Pull gently on the top portion of
the ear to facilitate the drip into the ear canal. You can also
gently massage behind the ear to help the oil slide into the ear canal.

Warmth. Use a heating pad or a hot water bottle or one of those rice
packs that you microwave, have him lie on it or hold against his ear-
it will ease the pain.

Aromatherapy. Make an aromatherapy ear rub with several drops of
lavender, tea tree oil, and chamomile in 1 ounce of olive oil. Rub
the oil mixture around the outside of the ear and over the lymph
nodes on the side of the neck, or dab a cotton ball in the oil,
gently place it in the ear, and leave it in until the infection is
gone, replacing it with a fresh cotton ball several times a day.

Homeopathy. Chamomilla is good for earaches associated with teething.
Children who need Pulsatilla tend to be weepy, sensitive, and clingy.
Their cheeks will be pale, and there may be a thick, yellow-green
discharge from the nose or the ear. Symptoms often come on gradually,
frequently following a cold. Aconite is for the sudden onset of
earache after a chill.

If you really want to see someone, and you're on a tight budget, I would dish out the $40 or so (they have a sliding scale), and go to NCNM's Natural Health Center and see an ND. Otherwise, I like Dr. Jennifer Gibbons, Dr. Susan Allen, and Dr. (and CNM) Catherine Schaefer.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Also, we bought our own ototscope from Cascade Supply, as ear infections are easy to diagnose and treat at home, and the last thing we need when baby has an earache is to go sit in a waiting room somewhere and for baby to be examined by a stranger, etc. just because they have the otoscope!

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody!!!

Yes, Dr. Pritchard is on Maternity leave and only one of the drs from the Sellwood clinic trasferred over. The NP that I saw last night flat out said that: "around here it's pretty common to use an antibiotic for this." I'm so outta there.

I'm going to try these remedies today for sure. I tried breastmilk last night and he was livid, but maybe I can get my mom to help me. He just needs to be distracted.

I always said that I'd be a "wait and see" mom, but now when the time comes, and here a doctor has ACTUALLY prescribed antibiotics, I'm running around with my head chopped off. Thank you all very much!!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Good luck, hope he's feeling better!

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again everyone. I took him to the chiro that delicious had reccommended and she was wonderful. Basically repeated what mommaof3 said and reassured what I'd already been thinking: No Antibiotics!! What a relief. She also made some adjustments and showed my some techniques for providing relief at home. Very cool.

I can't believe that it costs $100 to take a child to a doctor who spends 5 minutes taking a temperature and looking in an ear, and then shuffles us out the door with drugs. In comparison, the chiro spent an hour and a half and asked detailed questions, got to know much of my sons history, made the adjustments, created a specific and personal treatment plan, and more. Amazing!

Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts