Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I had to quit nursing
at 2 months with Jack (He is almost 2 now). He was allergic to cow milk and so I put him on soy formula. Then, when I found out about NT I switched him to goats milk (about 3 months ago). He gained 3 pounds and started sleeping better, which is a positive sign. His Dr. said he is very bright and physically healthy. He is on the tall and lean side (but so is his dad).

I cannot even read about soy anymore without feeling upset at myself and how it was pushed as a super healthy food. Should I do anything special to combat the effects soy may have had on him? I give him high vitamin CLO right now-1/4 teaspoon per day. We are also getting a goat for a raw milk source very soon.

Thank you,
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hi Jennifer,

Don't beat yourself up about the past!

I don't think I've read anything about how to reverse adverse effects specific to children and soy, except for providing plenty of good fats, since our hormonal and neurological systems are so dependent on it. The fact that you've already seen improvement is great! Do you think he could tolerate butter oil? It shouldn't contain any casein or lactose, just milk fat.

Aubin

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Aubin!! (Now I know your screenname AJP)

I have been cooking his food (eggs and such) in coconut or goat butter. He maybe able to tolerate the butter oil because I think he is probably allergic to the casein in cow's milk. I will look into that..Thanks, Jennifer

·
Registered
846 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJP
Hi Jennifer,

Don't beat yourself up about the past!

I don't think I've read anything about how to reverse adverse effects specific to children and soy, except for providing plenty of good fats, since our hormonal and neurological systems are so dependent on it. The fact that you've already seen improvement is great! Do you think he could tolerate butter oil? It shouldn't contain any casein or lactose, just milk fat.

Aubin
I'm not really sure what butter oil is so what I'm about to say may not hold up. (is it the same as clarified butter?) but, milk fat contains one of the largest percentages of caesin. caesin is a protein and therefore stored in fat. if the child is truly allergic to diary (vs just being lactose intolerant which would be a whole other issue easily alleviated by using raw milk/cream) then caesin would be what he is allergic to. if it is clarified butter that you guys are talking about, do you clarify it yourself? I tried this with my son (also allergic to diary) and had a REALLY hard time sucessful removing every trace of milk solids in it. Either way, good luck

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
This is butter oil: http://www.greenpasture.org/products/butter_oil
It's centrifuged, not the same as clarified butter (more concentrated in the fat-soluble good things, like CLA, x-factor, etc.).

I was under the impression that all the proteins in milk are in the solid and liquid portions, not the fat. But I haven't had to deal with a dairy sensitivity of any kind, so haven't thoroughly investigated.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Cream and butter contain very little protein- the calories come from fat, not protein or carbs (lactose). However, the trace amount of protein left can still cause problems for somebody with a true allergy. Plenty of people with milk sensitivities do fine with cream and butter, but with allergies you need to be more careful.

·
Registered
867 Posts
My brother in law can't tolerate homogenized/standard commercial dairy, but drinks raw with no problem....Wonder if that would be a possibility?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
newcastlemama, I would think that the best thing would be to make sure that his diet is a nutrient-dense as possible. Make sure that he gets plenty of healthy fats, clean proteins (grass-fed meats, etc., not commercial meats or fast food-type stuff). You can't undo what's been done, but you can make sure that his diet is as close to ideal as possible (granted, sometimes that's pretty hard with children!).

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies...
DS is even allergic to raw cows milk products. I am going to supplement dh and I with butter oil this winter and will try some on ds. He is not deathly allergic so I feel okay testing small amounts on him. He gets cranky and breaks out in a rash across his face and stomach a few hours after drink cow's milk.
I am going to keep offering up traditional fats since I think he was lacking there for a while and had a positive change when I intorduced them.

Jennifer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts