• Reese

Votes: 38 22.6%
  • something else

Votes: 78 46.4%
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't know what we're having yet, but we're trying to figure out a girl's name (have the boy name already).

We have a couple of ideas, and I'd like to see what everyone thought! I'm open to suggestions of other names too!

What we have so far are Elliot Jane or Reese (not sure on the middle, possibly Eva, Viola, Lenora or Lucille)

· Registered
1,614 Posts
Would you call the baby "Elliot Jane" or a nickname? I do know a child named Tommy June (this is what they call her), but her parents are Lynn (the dad) and Devon (the mom), so they are a very gender-bendy named family anyway.

Why not just use Elle, Ellie, Eleanor, Eliana, or Ella?

· Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Yeah, I would be a little weirded out by a girl named Elliot. It's such a boy's name in my mind. And Reese is a chocolate candy in my brain.

BUT, I've always stood by my belief that parents should use the name they love, so if you love either of them, go for it.

· Registered
587 Posts
I'm not a fan of the androgynous names, especially these "new ones" that were originally masculine names. I looked and was surprised to see Reese #150 and sharply rising for girls and sitting at #453 and falling for boys, so at least there will be other female Reese (aside from Witherspoon) around.

Elliot on the other hand, is #359 for boys and rising, so I'd imagine that that name would cause more gender confusion in classes, expectations etc. I probably wouldn't choose that for a girl.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
I think Elliot is kind of like Evan - a boys name that nice/acceptable as a girl's name. If she has problems with it, she can always use her nicknames.

· Registered
1,615 Posts
I actually like androgynous names most of the time, but your other girl's names are very feminine so both of these seem a little out of place to me. Why not just go with Ellie or Elle? On their own I like Elliot best.

· Registered
4,436 Posts
I voted something else, because I went out with a guy named Elliot and had a male dog named Reese. So I'm not fond of either for a girl.

Then when I noticed your daughters names it reenforced it for me.

Grace and Reece are too close as are Ayla and Ellie.

· Registered
6,266 Posts
Neither Elliot nor Reese strike me as girls names (Witherspoon notwithstanding). Reese is downright unnatractive. Sounds like "grease."

Elle is kind of affected and Ellie is a bit old lady-ish.

What about Elnora or Eliana?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.