Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this, so hopefully I'm putting it in the correct sub forum. The last time my daughter went poop was on Wednesday afternoon, today is now Tuesday, so we are on the evening of day 6 of her not pooping. The only new solid food that was introduced to her last week was broccoli and I didn't correlate the two, but do you think its possible that is what is making her constipated? She has eaten it every day since I made it last week. But, she doesn't eat very much at all. She doesn't eat more than an ounce or two of total solid food per day (she doesn't like it that much and refuses it after a few bites most of the time). Other than that, she just has breast milk (no formula whatsoever), and she drinks a tiny bit of water every so often. She has never gone this long without pooping. The most before was 3 days.<br><br>
The second problem is that when we woke up on Sunday morning, 2 days ago, she had a red dot above her forehead. It doesn't seem to be a scratch or bug bite. My parents took care of her from Sunday evening until today while I went to work (so for 2 days I didn't see her), and the dot seems to have gotten more bright red. What could it be? It is a tiny bit elevated. Here is a pic:<br><br><a href="http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/theresereich/DSC_0001.jpg" target="_blank">http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...h/DSC_0001.jpg</a>

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm not a Dr so take this for what its worth.<br><br>
I would stop giving your DD brocolli until she poops. If she is eating 2 oz a day she has about 12 oz or so backed up in her, that's a pretty big poop a coming!<br>
Keep breastfeeding and offer pureed fruit for solids until she poops, my DS liked pureed apple best.<br><br>
I dont know much about the dot - keep an eye on it and it gets larger or changes shape see a Dr. It'll probably fade and go away

·
Registered
455 Posts
My youngest has had the hardest transition to solids yet. Sticking with fluid-y type foods (apples & pears) plus letting her chew on cut up dried prunes is what works best for her.<br><br>
As for the dot, I don't really know. Eczema maybe?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
There is a big separation anxiety that occurs around age 10-12 months, that could be a factor. Did she consume the same amount of pumped milk as usual? Was it warmer outside, more exertional, so that she may be a bit less hydrated than if she could nurse at will? I assume (not familiar with thawing and preparing stored breastmilk) that the breast milk is not available "on demand" as immediately, nor as attractive in a bottle than from mama. Does she willingly consume water by some other route?<br><br>
Those would be causal things to consider, imo. The broccoli seems a bit "solid", perhaps. But, we essentially exclusively nursed until 15 months. Is there a reason that she is being encouraged to eat something she doesn't seem to like? Desire for phytochemicals... not sure, we only offered what was on our plate, but didn't "encourage" consumption of specific foods. Only if an active desire was initiated by baby did he gnaw on anything. We had softer foods available, and those seemed preferable to our son.<br><br>
You may want to offer a cold slab of butter to chew on, or bone broths as a liquid alternative. The fats and magnesium will help the bowel consistency. Basically, I'd increase fats, fluids and consider magnesium or vitamin C to increase bowel mobility at this point.<br><br>
More conventional alternatives are glycerin suppositories; or perhaps, a bit of coconut oil on a finger cot to stimulate the anus.<br><br>
Coconut oil on a spoon for her to eat, is another fat alternative. As is cod liver oil, of course. A bit of prune juice is another effective option. Perhaps, she could have a bit of that (diluted) on the days that you are away. It could help stimulate the bowels, and the sweetness may be more inviting than plain water.<br><br>
I wouldn't worry about the one red spot. Ds developed a mole somewhere along the line. It is on his cheek. It wasn't there at birth, but started as a red spot. It is a flat, pigmentation "spot", small like the spot in the photo. I think he was closer to 6 months old when I recall first seeing it.<br><br>
HTH, Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts