Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi PDX mamas,

We just moved to Portland, and I've been lax in arranging a new pedi for my kids, who are normally pretty healthy. Anyway, my youngest (9mo) very apparently has an ear infection and I need to get him in to see someone ASAP, but haven't a clue as to who's the ped to go. We're paying out of pocket, so looking for someone reasonable, who supports extended BFing, nocirc, bed sharing and the like.

I doubt I can get him in today, seeing as it's already 4pm.
But who do I call?!?

Thanks,
Saille
(slightly unnerved from the constant crying sessions for the past couple of hours, and feeling like a bad mama for letting it go after DH said 3 days ago, "I think he has an ear infection..." which I poopooed abit because of teething!)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
What part of Portland are you in? We had almost this same situation. My son had never been sick a day in his life when we moved here last November, then boom, got his first ear infection. We did not have insurance, so I decided to take him to the Naturopathic College downtown as it was a bit cheaper than going to an MD. We ended up going the warm garlic oil route and it cleared up quickly. He still has never touched antibiotics I am happy to say!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Linnton, which, I've discovered, most ppl don't know where it is. As far North as NW portland goes, I guess.

Our previous ped always suggested warmed olive oil - I'm assuming garlic oil is simmilar. Is there a specific formula?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yeah, I do not know that area at all! We are SW. Any of the formulas you can pick up at some place like New Season's or Whole Foods would be perfect. It will usually say garlic mullein.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Saille: New Seasons carries a garlic mullein oil that you can try. put a tiny bit in a glass cup and sit the cup in a shallow slightly filled bowl of hot water from the tap to heat it. then you can use a dropper to put one or two drops in his ear and try to keep him with that ear up for like 5 minutes or something (nursing just after doing this is a good option).

eta: you can also try peeling a garlic clove and using some medical tape to tape it to his ear near the entrance to the ear canal. again, during nursing or eating is a good time to do this. our son didn't even pull at it when i did this while he was eating dinner UNTIL the dinner was all gone. the active ingredients simply carry through the air into the ear canal and middle ear.

the National College of Naturopathic Medicine is probably your best bet. they have a clinic in downtown (sw) portland. www.ncnm.edu

hope he feels better soon!

~claudia

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Sorry no help with the ped & ear but I KNOW WHERE LINNTON IS! I live in St. Johns, just across the river. I can see Linnton from our front windows (I love our view).

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
OT too

Linnton is where one goes to buy organic chicken feed and stops for gas on the way to sauvie Island
. Sothere
!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts