Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 year old loves dip and this seems lately to be the best way to get protein in him. He mainly dips brown rice chips (the Eden Foods one with seaweed in them) in soups or anything dippable. He likes refried beans, peanut butter, avocado, cream cheese, dill sauce (mayo and plain yogurt with dill), but I run out of ideas. What else can I do and how can I sneak vegetables in?? He is so resistant to eating vegetables, except sauteed spinach once in awhile. He does this dipping thing breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He usually ends up eating soup for breakfast. this is great but he gets tired of the same things.

·
Banned
1,436 Posts
I was all ready to throw out a protein recipe but didn' realize it was for a finicky five year old! I haven't reached that frontier yet...

I was listening to NPR and they said sprinkling nutrional yeast on things adds a nice flavor and big protein boost. Maybe try boosting what he's willing to eat already?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
How about hummus or baba ghanouj? THe hummus definitely has a lot of protein (chick peas and tahini) and the baba at least has some (eggplant and tahini).

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
You could just whizz up a can of beans in the food processor with whatever flavoring things you've got eg. leftover mince, chilli con carne, herbs that kinda thing. Makes a simple nutritious 'dip'. I accidently came up with this when I made up a huge batch of chilli (beans, meat sauce stuff) and put too much hot pepper in it. Only way I could eat it was 'dilute' it with a can of beans whizzed up in the food processor.

To get my pet birds to eat veges, I make oatmeal pancakes and put minced up veges in them. My birds eat them and they're probably as picky as a 5 year old
I use this recipe but leave out the sweet stuff
http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/antigua_nm_recipe3.html

·
Registered
394 Posts
how about a fruit dip for bfast? mix yogurt, bananas, carrots and beets (steamed) in the blender and he could dip his chips or whole grain bread (with nuts, for more protein) in it. i loooove the idea of shredding carrots or zucchini and maybe some apple into oatmeal pancakes!

does he like broccoli, or asparagus? you can make guacamole out of these, with or without the avocado (i say with, b/c avocados are such a great source of nutrients and fat.)

if he likes spinach, you could steam it (or chard or kale, which are similar and have tons of nutrients) and use the 'pot liquor' for smoothies (does he like smoothies?)... you can't taste it, i swear, especially if you use a sweet fruit like bananas in the smoothie. you could also sneak carrots and beets in this way, too, maybe. (although beets have a pretty earthy flavor; he might balk at it.) or you could use the pot liquor for his bean dips.

how about tofu? you could use the soft or silken stuff in place of yogurt and/or cream cheese, or just do half tofu half whatever else.

also, nuts and seeds! almond butter, sunflower butter, tahini are all awesome sources of protein.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If he likes smoked salmon, here's a recipe that my ds (27 mos.) just loves.

Chipotle-Smoked Salmon Dip
Makes about 2 cups

2 chipotles in adobo sauce, seeds removed
1 ½ cup sour cream
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons adobo sauce
1 (3.5 oz.) package of smoked salmon, crumbled into small pieces
2 scallions (except the top inch and a half), thinly sliced

Finely mince the chipotles. Combine the minced chipotles, sour cream, salt, and adobo sauce and mix well. Add the salmon and the scallions and gently mix until combined. This is especially good with white tortilla chips.

If you're using the pre-sliced (very thin) smoked salmon instead of the stuff that crumbles, you'll probably want to process the dip.

This has a nice chipotle flavor and bite, but it is not a super hot recipe. You may use more or less chipotles and adobo sauce to taste.

Of course, if your ds doesn't like heat at all, leave out the chipotles altogether. If you put only a tiny bit of chipotle in, though, it would add some smoky flavor without you ds being able to detect the heat, probably. And if he doesn't like chunks in his dips, you could always just process it to make it smooth. I imagine you could add veggies, too (especially if you process it -- like maybe some cooked carrots or some roasted bell pepper). Avocado would be good in this, too.

Something else ds likes is to dip falafals in yogurt sauce, or waffles or pancakes in applesauce (he especially likes the ones with other fruit added, like berries or apricots). And you can sneak all kinds of things into waffles and pancakes! And you could make a different kind of fruit dip, with yogurt or tofu for protien.

Also, you can dip apple slices in almond butter or peanut butter -- yum!!

Can you dehydrate veggies? You could mince dehydrated veggies (like peppers, carrots, onion, and anything else you can think of) in a food processor and add them to cream cheese or yogurt. It looks really pretty, with all of those colors. You could call it confetti dip or something.

HTH
Christie

·
Registered
306 Posts
Does he like tomato sauce? DS 14 mo likes bread dipped in marinara sauce. You can then finely shred or puree any number of veggies into the sauce since tomatoes has such a strong flavor.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He doesn't like tomato sauce unless it's on pasta. But he is nuts for tomato soup. We often give him tomato soup with crackers to dip in it. I hadn't thought of getting veggies into it. Maybe if I stirred in some cooked pureed carrots or squash he wouldn't notice. Nice idea, thanks!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wombat, thanks for the pureed beans idea. I hadn't thought of that. My son loves refried beans out of a can. I didn't have any on hand but I had a pot of whole pinto beans that I'd been simmering all afternoon but he had no interest in these. I sneakily pureed them to make them "refried" and he didn't know the difference!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Try the sweet potato burrito filling in my cookbook--I bet it would be good on corn chips! My pumpkin snack recipe is also dippable, but he'd probably want plain bread for that because it's sweet. The fillings of the red & green pockets could become dips with a little more mashing--I usually eat those by spooning onto pita a bite at a time anyway because eating a pocket can get so messy!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Becca, I love your site. Thanks for the recipe idea(s)!! Eli loves sweet potatoes so I will definitely try this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.