Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 5 month old cocker spaniel and King charles Cavalier cross.<br><br>
We are having troubles training him:<br><br>
-When given any command he sets back his ears and growls, sometimes he lunges too and snaps, but he is wagging his tail at the same time. He especially reacts when you tell him to sit or stay .<br><br>
-nervously paces around the house <span style="text-decoration:underline;">all day</span> looking for "things to do/eat/destroy/chew/chase) except when hes outside where he runs laps around the sandbox and digs holes for hours. Hes walked at least once a day usually 2 times for a minimum of 45 minutes and we play fetch in the park with him a lot too so its not like he gets no excersize.<br><br>
-Still isnt housebroken and will pee right in front of you even though he is caught in the act, corrected and brought outside each and every time.<br><br>
-Frantically Destroys anything plush. I cant keep him away from the couches, carpet, beds pillows, anything plush he acts like theres a meaty bone inside and hes not eaten in a week.<br><br>
-Wont stop walking on us, jumping on us, bowling you over when youre on the floor and mounting my daughters despite 4 months of correction. Reacts with the first problem when corrected.<br><br>
-I cannot get him to stop pulling on the leash, even though weve tried the pull=stop for weeks<br><br>
-Wont stop jumping up onto the desk, counters, table and chairs even though hes been caught and corrected a million freaking times.<br><br>
I read 4 training books a few months ago, all reccomended on this forum but I cant recall the names at the moment.. culture clash, some monks book, aaaah cant remember the other 2... cant recall anything about any of these problems though...<br><br>
What I basically need to know, is this normal puppy behavior or he he totally neurotic?<br><br>
Can someone point me in the direction of help? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That certainly sounds on the more extreme side....and I'm speaking purely from all the reading I've been doing as a new puppy owner for the first time in eons.<br><br>
Do you by chance have a boot camp program accessible. Some friends of ours did this with thier seemingly untrainable dog. They really hesitated from a socialization/bond with family point of view as he would be with the trainers 24/7 for a month. But they did it and he came back very well trained. He's a huge 2yo rotty and just the sweetest thing on earth now. He's impecibly trained and seems like a truly content dog. That's not how he came to them at all.<br><br>
Just a thought. I'd never heard of programs like this until speaking with them. I'm sure folks have mixed opinions about them.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Do you have a crate? If not, get one... yesterday.<br><br>
The pup will have to be crated nearly constantly until he learns to do his 'business' outside. This isn't cruel.<br><br>
That's the first step toward a normal like, imo.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes he has a crate.<br>
He is in it at night, while we are out. If he is in the crate while we are in the room with him he barks, whines and chews holes in his legs so I tend to not want to crate him for long periods.<br><br>
We live in a big city, so Im sure there is training help available. Id love reccomendations ( Edmonton)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'd use the crate to get the potty training thing down. He comes out of crate, is packed outside and told to go potty. If he does, great! Pats and he can come play inside for awhile. If not, back in crate and we'll try again later. I wouldn't have the crate in the room with you.<br><br>
I would buy him LOTS of rawhide chewie thingies, too.<br><br>
Good luck, I haven't any experience with this particular breed.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
He;s not neurotic, but he does see himself as the dominant dog in your pack. He doesnt respect his humans. Thats why he protests at any attempt to control his behavior, the peeing issues, the jumping up and mounting.... THere are alot of issues here, but its <span style="text-decoration:underline;">very</span> workable. Id really look into finding a trainer in your area, not one of the board and train places though, where the dog is ssent away. Ive seen too many times where the dog comes back ok but eventually goes back into their old routine of disobediance and disrespect. Ask potential trainers about their methods, look for someone who uses positive reenforcement and gentler practices. Treat based is nice and works well for most dogs. THis is something that needs to be nipped in the bud as soon as possible though, you dont want it to escalate any further than it has.<br>
Things you can do right now would be walking (use a short but not tight leash, collar nice and high on his neck, right behind the ears), go two steps and stop. When he looks up at you and makes eye contact, praise calmly, offer a treat (without making a show of it) and go another two steps. Walking for now is a training excersise ,so dont try to go for a long one yet. Try turning "into" him and "away" from him, keeping the leash short but not tight. DOnt worry about bumping into him but do call his name when your doing the outside turns so he knows youre moving away. You want him to be focused on you, following you. You can do this in your yard, follow the leader type thing. Hope this makes sense! And good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts