Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some quick advice. My dd (14 months) has been having fevers (from 101 to 103 degrees F) since Friday and I took her to the ped Friday and they found nothing and sent me home with infant motrin. The fevers have continued, they go down with the meds but at the motrin wears off the fevers comes right back. Now she has started this really red, bumpy rash. It started on her stomach and spread all over, even behind her ears and in her diaper area. Should I go to ER or can I wait till tomorrow morning to go to the Ped? She is sleeping and seems comfortable, except for the fever. The rash isnt itchy or so i think ebcuase she isnt scratching at it at all.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Its been a long time, but when my son was about your dd's age he got roseola. He had a mild fever and a rash. It could be that is what she has. Its not serious and I belive my ped. said all kids get it.

I have no experience with chicken pox, but I bet that is a possibility also. I would just watch her close and call the ped. in the morning.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roseola....my mom said there was a case of that going around in her day care. she may have brought the germs home.... i guess i will definitely go in tomorrow and ask about that. what is the treatment for that?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Does she still have the fever? It sounds like roseola to me, but I thought that with roseola, the rash didn't start until the fever broke, but I could be wrong. If it is roseola, there's nothing you can really do about it, except keep her comfortable and wait for it to pass.

I wouldn't go to the ER unless she gets really lethargic, you're worried about dehydration, or if you can't keep her fever under control, which it sounds like you're doing.

I hope your little one feels better soon!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boricuaqueen327
roseola....my mom said there was a case of that going around in her day care. she may have brought the germs home.... i guess i will definitely go in tomorrow and ask about that. what is the treatment for that?

If it's going around in daycare, that's most likely what it is. Roseola is very contagious, so that's probably it. There's no treatment, just keep an eye on the fever and keep her comfortable. It usually lasts around 4-5 days.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes, with roseola the rash appears after the fever breaks. At that point it's pretty much over and you just wait for the rash to go away. My kids roseola rashes didn't last much more than a day.

Rubella is a similar looking rash to roseola, except that the rash actually accompanies the fever.

This sounds like roseola to me.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boricuaqueen327
You may want to just call instead of bringing her in. No sense bringing a sick baby to an office full of sick kids just to be told she has a virus. If you call and tell them what's going on, they can always tell you whether or not to bring her in.

Hope she feels better soon.

For future reference: A rash is a fairly common end result of a virus even if it's not one of the popular childhood viruses.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
You may want to just call instead of bringing her in. No sense bringing a sick baby to an office full of sick kids just to be told she has a virus. If you call and tell them what's going on, they can always tell you whether or not to bring her in.

Hope she feels better soon.

For future reference: A rash is a fairly common end result of a virus even if it's not one of the popular childhood viruses.
Yup. There are countless viruses that cause rashes in babies. None of them are worth worrying over unless other scary symptoms come with them.
A fever and rash in a baby just means it's something viral. My ds had something similar a while back and I brought him in to the doc just to make sure there wasn't some kind of secondary bacterial ear infection, though.
(just a weird paranoia of mine...lol...dh had lots of ear infections as a babe, and I'm still afraid ds might get one).
All your doc will probably do is either say the rash is a heat rash, or say the rash is from the virus.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
My dd had Roseola and had a fever for 2 days and then a fever and rash for 2 more days. All this during the 9/11 tragedy, so it's forever etched in my mind..... We did nothing but watch the fever and make her as comfortable as possible. She was only 1yr at the time, so still mostly bf, and that was all she wanted to do.

Does her rash look like this?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She seems a little better today, more energetic even with the rash. Thanks for all your help. I"m calling the PEd. right now as soon as they open to see if i should go oin. They'll probably just say what you guys told me. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well took her to the ped and she said it's roseola. thanks guys! dd seems a little better, she is eating a little more and playing more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.